Ridiculous Quote for Windows

What's Hot
jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
Ok, I might be being a bit naive, but I just had a visit from an Everest rep for a quote for eight windows and one front door for a moderately sized 3 bed terraced house. Mainly because I was told they were offering 35% off and the quote would be valid for 12 months. 

The cost? Before discount, £19,545!!!! I nearly fainted on the spot! I was expecting something in the region of £4-£5k, which may be a little optimistic, but still. However, with discounts (including a buy-it-today discount) this price dropped to just over £10k.
The rep must've seen the colour drain from my face as he rapidly offered me a quote for front only, at 'staff discount' prices (just an option on their computer system). This came in at just under £4k for three windows and front door. 

The catch is that the 35% discount offer ends on Friday and isn't guaranteed as part of the quote, which I was led to believe it would be. I'm still in shock!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    All sales tactics to pressure you into going for it... and thinking you're getting a bargain. They start at a high price, then go through various stages and "I'll just phone my boss and see what I can do.....Ok we can offer you a staff discount price but you have to agree today" Did you tell him the figure you had in mind? (don't). Never agree to anything like this after just having a single quote from one company.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That had paragraphs when I typed it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    What @not_the_dj said, also fuck Everest, you'll get a much better price off a local tradesman, do some research and you'll get a better job done too. Everest must spend a fortune on them shit adverts on the TV, they'll be passing on those costs to you-your local glazer won't.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3495
    Taking the piss there. I had two new doors plus 7 Windows one of them quite a large size for £5.5k would have been cheaper if Mrs didn't want fancy front door. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    Just got a quote from a local firm for 6 windows and patio door and front door for £4,500 shop around!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    All sales tactics to pressure you into going for it... and thinking you're getting a bargain.

They start at a high price, then go through various stages and "I'll just phone my boss and see what I can do.....Ok we can offer you a staff discount price but you have to agree today"

Did you tell him the figure you had in mind? (don't). Never agree to anything like this after just having a single quote from one company.

Yep, had a similar experience with the man from a fascias and guttering and eaves paraphernalia company. He had a little model roof in his briefcase and everything. Quoted a small fortune, then offered us the deal of the century.

I was a little surprised and disappointed that Mrs_bob very nearly fell for it.

We got it done by another company for about half his "final" figure, which was probably half what he originally quoted.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    @not_the_dj I definitely didn't go for it and funnily enough, he did try to phone his manager. I don't like high pressure sales tactics - thought it'd be useful having a quote (for 12 months) that I could compare with local companies. Everest profit margins must be huge if they can afford to knock 50% off just like that. Nuts. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    jaytmon said:
    @not_the_dj I definitely didn't go for it and funnily enough, he did try to phone his manager. I don't like high pressure sales tactics - thought it'd be useful having a quote (for 12 months) that I could compare with local companies. Everest profit margins must be huge if they can afford to knock 50% off just like that. Nuts. 

They're not knocking off 50% though, that's a bullshit figure plucked out of the air.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    I used to fit windows and doors in a former life. 4k is much more realistic for that many units. Starting at 19k is simply taking the piss. I would say with this sort of stuff, never go with one of the big boys. They have to pay for all that extra marketing/ TV somewhere. Do some research and find a small business locally. Make sure they are members of the Guild Of Master Craftsmen and get quotes from 3 or 4 of them. There won't be any pressure selling and you will have a higher quality product. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    As a very rough guide based on my recent window shopping I would expect to pay in the region of £1k for a composite door, no more than £500 for a UPVC door and somewhere between £300-500 per window or a grand to £1500 for a large bay. Add 10-20% on for any fancy leading or design.

So your expectation of £5k is pretty much spot on. It might be worth trying a local company. We did that and as well as getting a tour of the factory we got a great service.

Previously known as stevebrum
    grungebob said:
    Taking the piss there. I had two new doors plus 7 Windows one of them quite a large size for £5.5k would have been cheaper if Mrs didn't want fancy front door. 
    Just got a quote from a local firm for 6 windows and patio door and front door for £4,500 shop around!
    This is more in the region of what I was expecting! I'm glad I'm not going mad.

Seems like their main demographic is older people who see daytime TV adverts. Worrying to say the least. 

Oh and I had the option of spreading the cost over 10 years. 10 fucking years????!!! 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3441
    That is, and I'm being polite here, cunting ridiculous! You can do better, especially if you look for a local firm with good reviews.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    First time I got new windows - Safe Style from the telly quoted about £8000 for 6 windows and a back door. They also told me that windows with locks on them were more expensive!

Local firm did the whole lot for £1500

Same firm has done every house I've had. Always well priced and quickly done.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Yeah, go local, you'll get a genuine quote not the see-how-much-we-can-screw-out-of-you approach that the big companies use. On my last place (3 bed semi, windows only) Anglian originally quoted £13k. I got a reputable local company round and they quoted £5k.

I wrote a snotty letter to the MD of Zenith because of the way we were mucked about by their sales rep. We'd been promised a written quote that never appeared, despite several calls to his office. I suspect the sales guy only decided on a written quote, rather than an on the spot one, because they couldn't compete or his commission would have been peanuts and he really couldn't be bothered. Suddenly I got the local office on the phone, saying the MD had promised to beat any quote we'd been given. The salesman's face was a picture when I told him they'd got to beat £5k.... they did it for £4900 though! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    As a very rough guide based on my recent window shopping I would expect to pay in the region of £1k for a composite door, no more than £500 for a UPVC door and somewhere between £300-500 per window or a grand to £1500 for a large bay. Add 10-20% on for any fancy leading or design.

So your expectation of £5k is pretty much spot on. It might be worth trying a local company. We did that and as well as getting a tour of the factory we got a great service.

This sounds much more reasonable. I think their composite doors are in the region of several grand....
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Go with a local respected builder, they can source decent quality window units and fit them more skilfully for a fraction of that price.

B&Q sell composite doors for around £800 and they're not exactly cheap. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Those companies that send salesmen round to make their pitch can be unpleasantly persistent. We needed some rendering done a few years ago, did the usual 'get three quotes'. One of the quotes was four times what we eventually paid but the company that sent him kept on phoning, demanding details of his visit as though they suspected their guy of false practise (he wasn't, they were an expensive outfit).

First prize though goes the builder who came round to quote on roof repair to the extension. He tutted under his breath as he looked at it and said 'that'll come down if snow lies on it it, immediate remedial work needed". The next guy comes around, actually climbs up on the roof, jumps up and down on it a few times and says 'it's fine".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3495
    Can't remember what the organisation is called that used to be fensa but make sure whoever fits them is a member, especially if you want the guarantee to hold up or intend to move house 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    Can't remember what the organisation is called that used to be fensa but make sure whoever fits them is a member, especially if you want the guarantee to hold up or intend to move house 
    This^. Actually check with the organisation that they're members as well, don't rely on the fact they've got the sticker on their van and a Fensa mark on their stationery.