Another glazing question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I get what you are saying, but I don't think I would describe my house as 'period'..... Just a 100 year old building that happens to retain a couple of original features. Like every other house around here.

It used to be 2 flats, and there is now no evidence of the conversion back and forth, but very few period features remain.

the glass is original and admittedly quite plain, just like the red tile floor below it.... A few years earlier it would have been some fancy Minton thing, all of the slightly older houses on the street have that. I don't think "proper" stained glass would suit the house.

given the area and type of house, value won't be affected too much by the choice... But I do want to consider curb appeal at the same time to ensure value is realised

I mentioned the windows on the rest of the house earlier.... They are white plastic. They still manage to look better than every other white plastic window on the street because ours are the only ones which capture some period style. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think you may be right about them being stickers.

I have considered reworking the original door but couldn't see an easy fix. Secondary glazing would be easy for the side and top lights, can't see an easy way to do the door.

anyway, I know a good joiner I can ask about that. not sold on any particular solution at this point.

I do like some of the deco stained glass.... But finding something I like, and is right for the property would be a challenge
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    hywelg said:
    This is correct. By all means install steel. reinforced security doors if you want to look like you have some valuable shit inside. Better to install a good CCTV system that make it look like you live in a really bad neighbourhood. 
    btw
    what's the best way to draught-proof an inward-opening wooden door above quarry tiles?
    can you put an upside-down T section with rubber on it on the floor, and some kind of rain cover strip on the  outside of the door to cover the seal?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited July 2016
    [edit] ..."and it lets water in when the window cleaners come...."

http://i.stack.imgur.com/X9pmem.png

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This is correct. By all means install steel. reinforced security doors if you want to look like you have some valuable shit inside. Better to install a good CCTV system that make it look like you live in a really bad neighbourhood. 
    btw
    what's the best way to draught-proof an inward-opening wooden door above quarry tiles?
    can you put an upside-down T section with rubber on it on the floor, and some kind of rain cover strip on the  outside of the door to cover the seal?
    A threshold strip with seal built in. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    hywelg said:
    hywelg said:
    btw
    do you have any  links to a good place to buy them please?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    edited July 2016
    WezV said:

the glass is original and admittedly quite plain, just like the red tile floor below it.... 

Grrrrr this new editor is crap.     

Can't get the cursor out of the quote box....reply in next post 
    edited August 2016
    It's very doubtful that is the original glass. It's difficult to apply that film in situ so it's very likely to be replacement glass. Can't see a close up but it looks like Pilks Stippolyte or similar.

If your house is 100years old it's Edwardian.Art Deco is too new for it, from mid to late 20's up to 1939. It does indeed look like the door is original so is definitely worth retaining if you can. Style of the door looks more Victorian than Edwardian though. Bear in mind building styles didn't change immediately when Victoria died. 

Pm me your post code and when I get back from holiday I'll have a drive round your area on Streetview and might be better able to see what the house styles are like.
    hywelg said:
    hywelg said:
    btw
    do you have any  links to a good place to buy them please?
    Joiner will usually make one to suit. Might need toshave the bottom of the door a bit too.
    Cool, will pm the postcode later.
    I have always live in old houses around town, grew up in a 6 bed Victorian detached from 1880 and my own first house was a 1907 terrace.

this one is more of a mystery because we were told 30's, but that feels very wrong to me. Original deeds for a lot of the area are lost so no one is sure.... It was originally owned & built by a hospital trust and all records of deeds have been missing since at least the 80's. The whole estate will panic if they ever turn up.