UK Wages fall more than rest of world, equalled only by Greece

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36903032

I haven't had a rise since... shit... I can't remember..  2008 I think.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    edited July 2016
    I got a 0.8% raise, backdated to April as a non pensionable lump sum this month after several years of pay freezes. A whopping £60!!! Oh yeah, that civil service gravy train is alive and well
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Well, in 2008 I had a 100% pay cut, applied for close to 200 jobs and finally managed to change career. Currently on 54% of my 2008 salary. 

It'll be a long time before I can say my wages have recovered, never mind raised. No wonder I'm a communist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If the feckless English worked half as hard as the Greeks there wouldn't be a problem.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    As long as we keep making billionaires and multinationals interests a priority,everything wiĺl be fine.
    They will look after us.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Trickle down economics is a myth (studies show much more money goes back into the economy from the poorest 40% even those on benefits, than by subsidising the rich)  and having a chancellor with no economic qualification (you expect this as a minimum) is hardly smart is it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Ah, the Brown-Osborne economic miracle...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Trickle down economics is a myth (studies show much more money goes back into the economy from the poorest 40% even those on benefits, than by subsidising the rich)  and having a chancellor with no economic qualification (you expect this as a minimum) is hardly smart is it! 
    Surely it doesn't take an economic qualification to realize that giving one person more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime is less likely to stimulate the economy than giving a large portion of the population enough money to piss some away in pubs and shops? Once your economic worth passes a certain point, any more is just dead money, surely?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Surely it doesn't take an economic qualification to realize that giving one person more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime is less likely to stimulate the economy than giving a large portion of the population enough money to piss some away in pubs and shops? Once your economic worth passes a certain point, any more is just dead money, surely?

Said nobody earning that much ever. Trying to stop people earning ridiculous sums of money is a pointless exercise.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    edited July 2016
    Research funded by the TUC..... Hum.

Im not sure wages have dropped by that margin in actual amount.  Its highly likely it has in real terms - as most companies (plus the public sector) used the financial crisis as an excuse for pay freezes, even when the companies in question were still making a huge profit.  

This along with the "minimum wage" - a complete waste of an idea, as it has been used by most of the historically low payers as a"default wage" - meaning more and more jobs are only paid that amount.  re min wage, there were some jobs where stupidly low wages were offered, but a lot now using min wage would have been higher.  Pay higher wages, get better quality workers in - or used to be - the norm.  Now its all min wage, or just above (to show there not skin flints).

I am on less now than I was 10 years ago - but that is due to leaving the forces (too old) and taking a cut from 38k plus allowances to £20k initially.  That company hadnt given a pay rise in 5 years, and didnt for the 2 I was with them (even though they promised) - but Im now with a Japanese company who have given 1.5% annual rises for the 2 years Ive been with them - and a better salary.  Guess im quite lucky at the moment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    But, the wealthy have got wealthier. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    TheMarlin said:
    Plundering pension funds is a very lucrative business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:
    And apparently legal
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:
    And apparently legal
    Gordon Brown certainly thought so!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    He also thought fencing the UKs gold was a good idea.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    I'm paid pretty well, but I do agree about the UK's "Wage Freeze" in public & private sectors (for different reasons).. 

I changed jobs 5yrs ago and and had one miniscule raise since then (£174 per year BEFORE tax) 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    I was lucky enough to get a 4k pay rise in May...mostly because I threatened to leave...so I'm feeling fortunate. I'm sure I'll get fuck all for a good few years now though. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    United Kingdom Average Weekly Wages
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30215
    Evilmags said:

That is ONS data so I wonder how its been manipulated...
    The y-axis doesn't start at 0.

Also, while it's not manipulation exactly, there's no indication of whether that's raw GBP or whether it's been adjusted for inflation and/or cost of living increases.

Either way there's precious little information in that graph.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Evilmags said:
    Looks like the TUC figures are based on dividing wages by hours worked rather than weekly wage so I can picture a different story depending on the type of job and probably suggests that people are working more hours.