UK Wages fall more than rest of world, equalled only by Greece

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Evilmags said:
    United Kingdom Average Weekly Wages
    Damn ! We've never had it so good, and I'm missing out :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    That graph has no comparison with workers in other countries.  It means nothing at all in the context of the discussion at hand.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30213
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Greece Minimum Monthly Wage
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited July 2016
    Sporky said:
    ^^^ Wisdom : LOL  < > LOL : Wisdom ~  such a hard choice, so ambiguous, you deserve both Sir, well played  :)

Southern countries have 20% unemployment. Where would wages have to fall to get that to the UK´s 5%. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30213
    That and "How to lie with maps" are good reads for defending yourself against those who would deceive you.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Average wage is such bullshit.

If for some reason myself and 8 other friends were at a dinner table with Paul Pogba our mean average wage would be like £20,000 per week.

I don't think the median average gives a good account either which is currently £27,000 for the uk but I don't know many people who earn within 10% of that.

Ive been looking for a career change but most jobs on offer are closer to £18k than £27k.

That might be due to the joys of living in the North but I can see why people are struggling as while the costs of everyday goods go up wages aren't keeping pace.

I did read somewhere that most people couldn't survive an expected bill of £1000.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2016
    Modal wage might make more sense.

Jenny says no.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited July 2016
    Jalapeno said:
    I'm paid pretty well, but I do agree about the UK's "Wage Freeze" in public & private sectors (for different reasons).. 

I changed jobs 5yrs ago and and had one miniscule raise since then (£174 per year BEFORE tax) 
    Can I ask why you agree?

Do you prefer to see a deflated and demoralised workforce?

If it's a case of freezing to save other jobs then I can understand it I guess...

Although public sector workers have been awarded a 1% rise this year, some council's are cutting salaries by 1% as part of cost cutting measures so essentially it's another freeze.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Not cutting the managers wages though.
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Not cutting the managers wages though.Seens every cut they make ends up in the top peoples pockets.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    My employer is one of the better ones but this year gave a lower pay rise than usual even though they had the most profitable year ever. Blamed  brexit as well.

I was offered a promotion this year which was more work (again) with no extra money. I turned it down.
    Average wages in places like France, Spain, Portugal are almost entirety defined my trade unions and the state. They are meaningless unless placed next to unemployment numbers, inflation and welfare payments.In nearly every EU country unemployment is significantly higher than in the UK. The UK has not seen massive cuts in welfare and public salaries, just a freeze. And has as close to full employment as is possible when you have a dole system. Solving the last nasty economic crisis in 1979 took unemployment close to 4 million. This is very mild by comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Greece 20 Euros an 18 day in the service industry for 7 months a year, although an apartment only rents for 150 Euro a month, food is similarly priced.

Poland Two Euro fifty an hour, the apartments are horrible.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    As long as house prices go up we're all rich, no matter what our wages are. 
    ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I have had 2-4% each year for the past 5 years. Much nicer than when I worked in schools. I managed to get one of my team an 11% rise this year to bring them more inline with the rest of the team. There had been performance issues before I was the manager which meant they had missed a few previous ones. but the starting wage had risen significantly in the meantime. So the most experienced team member was earning less than a new starter, and was now performing very well.

my actual pay rise has been much more because I have also had a promotion each year.

brexit did nearly put it all at risk this week though. Nearly stopped a fairly crucial deal from happening, but only because someone was using it as an excuse to ask for more money.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    I've had my first pay rise in 10 years without changing company.
    My last company effectively gave me a pay cut as no bonuses where paid out in 4 years as the second a target was approached the target got changed.