First gig with serviced amp/ what to look out for?

CatthanCatthan Frets: 370
Hey all, tomorrow I'll be gigging fat fucker (lonestar special) after spending its first moments with me blowing tubes, frying grid resistors etc.. The repair included replacing the resistor and any other component that looked suspicious, re-valve, some tweaking in the bias to run a bit cooler (tech said it was introduced in later models and I'd better have it done), and i specifically asked to check everything that could cause reliability issues and change it. It was pat-tested too. the guy told me he did the std repair pack which is detailed here http://www.maughanamps.com/service.shtml I've been playing it home since without issues. But since it's the first time I had any probs I'm getting concerned as I don't drive and can't lug the Badger+cab for backup (i don't want to put any wear to it either 'cause it's for sale). Is there anything I should keep an eye out for or should I just have faith that it's out of my control and whatever happens happens?? I keep the fan always on and switch to standby out of habbit during breaks between sets. The amp plays lovely but that's at home volumes, not at pushed gig volumes.. I'd appreciate any input. Atb, T
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    If your tech has done his job properly it should be fine. I would expect that he will have soak-tested it at high power for long enough to be sure it isn't going to fail again in any forseeable way in the near future.

The problem with valve amps is that you can never be completely sure because valves can simply fail without warning.

I still wouldn't go without any backup amp/strategy at all, it's asking for trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 370
    thanks @ICBM,

I m sure he let the amp run for a few days but don't know whether he cranked it or not. The main issue with backup is space management but fortunately if anything goes wrong we can have the badger brought in and running in less than 30'
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited January 2014
    Gear Killers are usually piss'eads stepping up to look at your gear and tripping on a lead and slopping their pint and those manic fat lasses letting rip with the WOO-HOOOO dancing, slipping ass over tit into the Drum dais...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Gear Killers are usually piss'eads stepping up to look at your gear and tripping on a lead and slopping their pint and those manic fat lasses letting rip with the WOO-HOOOO dancing, slipping ass over tit into the Drum dais...
    You're right!.
    Fortunately we have less gear-heads and musos than we usually expect and there's always a venue monitor to absorb puking before it gets anywhere near my gear. 

It's funny though, in the first gig we did for which I was planning to play the LSS before it failed, there was a table right beside the corner my amp was. So if the LSS had failed on stage, the fumes and shit would be right next to a girls hair.. Smoking hot she would be,, 

Anyway, the band should be here any minute for beers and bites (and a lift to the venue) and then off to the gig with the Mesa.
    Lets hope it copes well and sounds at least as good as the Badger..

Will post after the gig
    Post-gig report:

LSS sounded great, didn't overheat or go up in smokes or anything like that, was super loud with Output half-way up and channel masters at 11:00.

Clean channel was great and the dirty channel absolutely killed! Fat-creamy but articulate!! Don't know why people moan at the boogie board about it.. The amp just needs to breath.

Anyway, all good!
  • Glad to hear it went well. I look after my gear but the amp is the one thing I always worry about.
    Glad to hear it went well. I look after my gear but the amp is the one thing I always worry about.

Yeah I know what you mean.. Never used to worry before and tbh I was really distracted last night always keeping an eye on the amp etc so now that I now the risks I need to somehow be able to flip the switch and focus on the music 'cause I can t play like that. Just need to fully realise and accept the risk and if I manage to get a small crate powerblock for back up it will help too..
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    @Catthan - glad gig went well T and the amp delivered. Boogies are great!

I noticed you mentioned a Powerblock. My friend Paul (non-forumite) has one up for sale and I believe you've spoken to him before. Let me know if interested and I can put you both in touch.

All the best