Bigsby - Cadillac - Other?

My Billy Bo is coming together now, and so the quest for a tailpiece needs to move forward.  I was hoping on using a gold B3 but it looks like the body is just under the height of the mounting bracket (1 3/4" - 44mm), so it may overhang when fitted .  The B30 is a bit shorter at 1 5/8" - 41mm, but not such good quality?  I was thinking about a Cadillac tail, but can't find the mounting bracket measurement - anyone?
Are there any other tails that will fit without any top surface drilling required, that are both good quality and available in gold?

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3013
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader

Quality difference is open to question, I have had a few US ones with iffy casting of the arm bracket, though easily fixed, not great with gold though as it's filing ....

There's nothing really wrong with a plastic bush in such a very low stress place and they don't dry & drag like metal ones can. I usually get US ones from the US just cos it's cheaper and vanity in not having "licensed" on it. Had 7 here at one time.

There is/was a gold caddy in the parts area, could be worth dropping the fella a line.

When you say body height, just checking you've not forgot that say 6mm+ of that 44mm is the "knuckle" bit that sits proud of the top. Just in case you were forgetting and doing yourself out of an option!

Looking forward to pics btw ; )

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    Corvus said:

Quality difference is open to question, I have had a few US ones with iffy casting of the arm bracket, though easily fixed, not great with gold though as it's filing ....

There's nothing really wrong with a plastic bush in such a very low stress place and they don't dry & drag like metal ones can. I usually get US ones from the US just cos it's cheaper and vanity in not having "licensed" on it. Had 7 here at one time.

There is/was a gold caddy in the parts area, could be worth dropping the fella a line.

When you say body height, just checking you've not forgot that say 6mm+ of that 44mm is the "knuckle" bit that sits proud of the top. Just in case you were forgetting and doing yourself out of an option!

Looking forward to pics btw ; )

Bit the bullet after more measurements and your advice, so a gold B3 is on its way to me to join the rest of the project.  Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.
    There is a photo of the start of the build on here in one of GSPBASSES threads flamed maple top pic at the bottom :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    tFB Trader
    Cool, and cool guitar in the works : )
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    thanks mate - it's a 50th birthday present to me  :)  TV Jones pickups, and will be finished in black which I am apprehensive of doing as I have never attempted before.  But I will take all advice I can and give it my best shot.....'how hard can it be!?'  lol
    tFB Trader
    Nice, black sounds a great colour for it and there's a first time for everything right, so good luck, sure it'll be fine :)