Car advice - Mitsubishi FTO

cm01cm01 Frets: 548
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
I need to get a car for work but the second hand car market where we're living (Central Queensland Coast) is abysmal - very few cars in my budget (around £1500 - £2000), but a Mitsubishi FTO popped up on ebay today, bit older than I'd have liked (1995) but really well taken care of and in good nick - just wondering if anyone has any experience of them or if there's anything in particular I should look out for?  It's a bit overkill really because I won't be doing many miles (work is only a 10 minute drive away) but it looks like a fun little car and the other alternative is a ute!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    I think @wibble had one.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited July 2016
    Brilliant little cars, way ahead of their time IMO.  Which version is it ?

If it is the GPX ~ 2L V6 VVT MiVec engine and Tiptronic gear box, then I would say check that the gearbox is sound and has no issues as they are expensive to repair, and that it has had cam belt changes at the required intervals, aside from that just check out the same as any other car, including wear; and tear, mileage is consistent from mileometer to internal condition, no untoward noises or rattles, no signs of accident damage etc, etc.  (all IMO obviously)

Most of the FTOs in the UK are either '94 or '95 Jap imports, not sure whether they were a mainstream dealer car in Oz, or the same import thing applies.  Most parts are from other models, so not too hard getting them fixed, which is nice.  Been cheap to run over the years, had 20k on it when imported, and now has nearly 180k on it, and she loves it to bits and has no desire to change it.

My missus has had two (the first one did one too many pirouettes on black ice), and they have both been fantastic and very reliable.  Stiff suspension gives very pointy handling, great on country roads, if a little firm, engine sounds like a small symphony orchestra when it comes up on the cams, but is very tractable (drivable) slowly and in traffic.  She gets between 35 and 45 mpg with careful driving, and only a bit less when having fun, and it is a fun car  :)

• cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    Great info - cheers!

It's the 2 litre V6 - think it's the GPX - I'm going to take a look tomorrow... It's got 108K on the clock and FSH, sounds like it's been taken care of.  He's got it up auction style starting at $2500 - roughly £1400, so I'll see if there's a deal to be done if I like it... it's mad, the only other car in my price range locally was a 2003 KA which sold yesterday - bit of a blessing in disguise I think!
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    edited July 2016
    I had a FTO MVEC for several years in the early/ mid 2000s. Superb car and only let me down once (battery).

As others have said, these are now 15 to 20 years old so check it drives properly, all electrics work, breaks feel ok, under the bonnet looks OK, no leaks, check suspension etc.. also if it has a recent MoT that's a good thing to.

Worth looking for an FTO specific forum, I'm sure there must be one. Look for sourcing of parts.

There are a couple locally to me for about 1K. I keep thinking of getting another just for weekend use.