My 15 year old daughter wouldn't pass me the TV remote...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
...so I threatened to waterboard her favourite cuddly toy sloth.

does this make me a bad parent?

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

Depends... did the sloth have it coming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Nah...makes her spoilt kid.

Reclaim the remote and waterborne the little fucker regardless. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    It's your fault for a being in the same room as a teenager and b talking to her. I avoid a and b until they were 24.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    What was the rationale for not passing the TV remote?
    For all we know, your daughter has good reason for not letting you have it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    Grunfeld said:

Because she didn't want to watch what I wanted to, her nose was stuck into the iPhone that is permanently fixed in the palm of her hand at the time, on Facebook or Pokemon Go or some other  twaddle.

no legitimate reason, plus I am The Boss. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016

Myranda said:

Depends... did the sloth have it coming
    Yes, most definitely. It just sits around doing nothing, pretty much like it's owner, who clearly can't be bothered to put empty drink bottles and cans in the bin that is all of 18 inches from the end of her bed, or put dirty clothes in the wash bin, some 5 feet outside her bedroom door.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Nah...makes her spoilt kid.

Reclaim the remote and waterborne the little fucker regardless. 
    I like the cut of your jib sir. To be honest it was pretty audacious of her to think she could sit in the same room as me without my express permission

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Grunfeld said:

no legitimate reason, plus I am The Boss. 
    Of course you are dear.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    Just switch off the wifi...job done me thinks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Pffft. You're doing it wrong.

When sproglet was 4, I did the sock-puppet thing with my hands in front of her (without the sock), and told her they were geese coming to bite her. Gave her such a neurosis about it that she didn't get over it until she was well into her teens.

Any time she misbehaved...geese. Worked wonders.

My wife was somewhat conflicted; while she didn't approve of scaring children, she wasn't above saying, "Do I have to ask Daddy if the geese are home?" when sproglet was being a brat.
    <space for hire>
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    BJJ style armbars are the best way to convince sprogs that your way is the only way.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

When sproglet was 4, I did the sock-puppet thing with my hands in front of her (without the sock), and told her they were geese coming to bite her. Gave her such a neurosis about it that she didn't get over it until she was well into her teens.

My wife was somewhat conflicted; while she didn't approve of scaring children, she wasn't above saying, "Do I have to ask Daddy if the geese are home?" when sproglet was being a brat.
    I *may* know someone who had to tell off their niece while babysitting ... he came up with the idea of saying "if you don't go to b3d I'll flush you down the toilet"

She laughed of course and didn't go... so he picked her up and held her over the toilet... 

For years he could get her to stop being naughty by saying he'd flush her away...
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Myranda said:

I *may* know someone who had to tell off their niece while babysitting ... he came up with the idea of saying "if you don't go to b3d I'll flush you down the toilet"

She laughed of course and didn't go... so he picked her up and held her over the toilet... 

For years he could get her to stop being naughty by saying he'd flush her away...
    Great minds think alike. Kept mine from getting smacked for years. She must have been at least 13 before she realised I would not do it. Cutting WiFi and phone is also fairly effective. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318

I'm awed, have a Wow!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If it were my daughter I'd walk past her bedroom window at night completely naked with a torch slung to my ankle pointing up, then the next morning warn her about an escaped paranoid maniac who preys on young girls watching TV who is apparently on the run in the local area.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:
    If it were my daughter I'd walk past her bedroom window at night completely naked with a torch slung to my ankle pointing up, then the next morning warn her about an escaped paranoid maniac who preys on young girls watching TV who is apparently on the run in the local area.
    You need help. I hope you don't live near me. Perhaps I should tell her that Sambostar will get her...

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    He'd also need scaffolding, I'd have thought?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    switching the wifi off works like smelling salts, they come running out of their burrows into the light of day
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    This reminds me of all the times I won't give the wife the remote when she wants to watch another bleak Scando crime drama,  boy I can be a right stroppy teenager sometimes! 
    edited July 2016
    switching the wifi off works like smelling salts, they come running out of their burrows into the light of day
    I agree on switching off the the wi-fi, workd wonders with my son and XBOX live when he needed recalibrating recently. Problem is I am on BT Infinity and can't find a way to exclude just some devices, it's all or nothing with the BT Homehub 5 as far as I can see so I have to suffer as well!