Are there any lawyers who can ACTUALLY play guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

d8m said:
    He's wearing a suit and has books behind him and everything!  This guy isn't messing around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    I got my degree in law before going over to the dark side (accountancy).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    My pot-smoking Dog The Bounty Hunter crack addict friend became a lawyer, so I don't really have high standards for them!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Drew_fx said:
    My pot-smoking Dog The Bounty Hunter crack addict friend became a lawyer, so I don't really have high standards for them!
    Stop being jealous!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    TimmyO said:
    What is it about playing guitar that attracts this sort of negative vibe if you do it as a hobby?

The same doesn't be true of, say, golf. Or driving fast cars. Or painting. 

I'm not sure if it's an inverted snobbery thing toward people with money, or a crushing inferiority complex that might be common among the kind of people drawn to playing guitar but it is odd whatever the cause. 

I earn good money. I have awesome gear. I'm a bit shit at guitar. But I really enjoy it. In that respect I am very happy to be 'out' :-)

All down to psychology,  guitar has always been seen as a rough and ready instrument, (think back to original. Blues,  grunge, rock,  punk etc).    
    Being a lawyer is the other end of the spectrum,  and really a hated profession,  so what ever they do as a hobby (especially the same as ours)  is going to get jibes. 

It's down to money as well,  dentists and lawyers are on more than most of us, which will bring about silly comments like "prs are dentists guitars" etc,  guitar players like to see them selves as grass roots playing earthy music away from the establishment, so any one earning more and doing a job like the above is going to get these silly comments. 

Why do you think so many guitarists play teles and prs are now unpopular,....... 

Just my opinion mind..... Even if it's the right one :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    Duncan from legendary zombie thrash outfit Send More Paramedics is a lawyer, and he is bloody awesome on guitar.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    TimmyO said:
    What is it about playing guitar that attracts this sort of negative vibe if you do it as a hobby?

There is in fact a direct analogy in the world of cycling - "Dentists on Pinarellos" are a much-maligned sub-species of MAMIL.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    FFS dentists are only upper middle at best, certainly non U...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30220
    TimmyO said:

It was true on the woodwork forum I joined. Anyone with a Lie Nielsen or Veritas plane instead of a 50s Stanley that they'd refurbished themselves was clearly just a diletante hobbyist (the suggestion being that this is a bad thing). Then there were the trade members, who were generally much nicer but had no interest in the craft side of things - they were interested in production and efficiency and output quality.

Basically hobbyists who want to be (or like to think they are) professionals are quite often mean and petty. Succesful professionals are generally too busy working, and most non-aspirational hobbyists are busy having fun.
    Evilmags said:
    FFS dentists are only upper middle at best, certainly non U...
    We can always count on you to make an antiquated class war out of any thread, Mags. Don't ever change.

I'm still struggling to see where anyone suggested that dentists form part of the aristocracy, mind...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Basically guys are dickheads. That's why we don't have any women here, and that's why we all try to one-up each other all the time. Coz we're cunts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    someone has to be.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    Mate of mine - an ex client - is a District Judge and he plays lead in an originals band, so no covers.
    Bloody good he is too and thoroughly likeable and charming, with something of a public spirited attitude to housing law.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    Drew_fx said:
    Basically guys are dickheads. That's why we don't have any women here, and that's why we all try to one-up each other all the time. Coz we're cunts.
    "we all" ? Speak for yourself. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_fx said:
    "we all" ? Speak for yourself. 
    Well tbh I was mostly speaking for you, but didn't really want to single you out. Soz babez xxx
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah cos women hate all that bitchiness stuff don't they. In fact that's why so many men go to sewing bees and Zumba
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    As I once said to Johnny Depp, all men are braggarts and liars.
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah cos women hate all that bitchiness stuff don't they. In fact that's why so many men go to sewing bees and Zumba
    Yeah pretty much.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Strangefan said:
     guitar players like to see them selves as grass roots playing earthy music away from the establishment, so any one earning more and doing a job like the above is going to get these silly comments. 
    I don't get this.

I don't think of myself as some maverick cosmic explorer just because I play a bit of guitar, and I think anyone who does think that of themselves is fundamentally a bit of a wanker who needs to take themselves a lot less seriously.

And I have total respect for people with good jobs who work hard to make a lot of money - fair play to them. Do what you want as a hobby, you've earned it. I'm inclined to have more respect for a lawyer or dentist who balances a demanding, highly-paid job with a sincere dedication to their musical leanings when they have some time to play, than I would to someone like the frontman of my old band, who at 24 was basically a feckless layabout who spent all day dicking around in his parents' attic trying to finesse some shitty-sounding recordings of songs no-one except him liked rather than getting a job and earning his own money.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    There's a magician who practises law but he's one of them four string types so it doesn't count.

He does a cracking BBQ though ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• DLMDLM Frets: 2531
    d8m said:

Yup, came here to post about Jon Levin. Listen to his interview with The Double Stop to hear how he runs his legal practice from Dokken's tourbus.