Macerator

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Having problems getting a soil pipe run to the new bathroom we want upstairs so the only option might be a macerator.

I know old ones were really noisy but I don't have experience of new ones.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't buy a cheap one.
    Stick to saniflo or grundfos.
    A saniplus runs about 50 to 55db so not as loud as say a Hoover or washing machine. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    My parents have had one in their ensuite for years. It's never worked properly and pretty gross to fix, but the noise isn't that bad - it only runs for 10 seconds a time or so.

I'm also not sure about new ones; maybe they've improved!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I've got some horror stories from some plumbers about fixing them! I'm glad I just sell them.

A few years ago a bloke fetched one in to my shop wrapped up in a bin bag leaking shit everywhere and asked if I could fix it he said it hadn't worked right since his wife flushed a peach down the toilet! Who flushes a peach down a toilet?? 

The manager came out his office and kicked the bloke out we spent the rest of the morning disinfecting the counter and floors. Grim.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30219
    Do they make a "nom nom nom" noise?

That'd put me off.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I lived in a place a few years ago where the only toilet was one, the toilet probably about 10 years old (now). The noise wasn't that bad top be fair, and as said above only goes for a few seconds-it was noticeable at night but not intrusive, during the day you barely heard it. I'd have no issue putting one in, or moving into somewhere with one.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Insulate them from the floorboards and plasterboard walls and put some sound insulation around them and they are a lot quieter.  I only used polystyrene blocks and it made a noticeable difference.
  • I thought "Macerator" was a deth metal band...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102

I knew the fella who "invented" and owned Saniflo.  

Sadly he's dead now, but he used to take great pride in telling people he sold shit masher's for a living.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I just fitted a Grundfos to replace the Saniflo in my house. I went for it because it advertises it can grind a pen, so less likely to be blocked, and by taking one small panel off you can turn the motor with a screwdriver to clear blockages. Seems good so far, although I'm going to put something underneath to try and insulate it a bit. It's not horrendously loud or anything, but you can definitely hear it.
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    edited August 2016
    I would look at every option available as an alternative including what I did which was to chuck the mascerator and drop a soil pipe down along an inner wall (which we boxed in) and then out under the front wall of house to connect to the main foul in the road. Cost a few quid but a don't need a machine to chew through the family's shit and go wrong every 5 minutes with an extortionate call out charge each time.