I thought building a second guitar would be easier

What's Hot
I seem to have forgotten everything that I did and what order I did it in. Really struggling to get my head in gear. I seem to have spent a month procrastinating and failing to start even though I have most of the wood and a detailed plan that I have drawn up. I was thinking that it would be more of a breeze second time around. That is all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34017
    Did we not talk about build diaries last time?

I have an A5 sized book that I write everything down in- and I mean everything, all measurements, cuts, problems, successes, bit sizes and types.
    It slows you down a bit but it makes things so much easier next time.
    I've used computers before but actually having a pen and paper is just easier and quicker.

Also consider batch building, doing something more than once will help keep it in your memory.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Yes, the diary would have been perfect! A very good idea, I must do it this time around as I plan to make 2 more instruments after this one. Thanks for the tip.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28092
    Didn't you subscribe to the Bailey online course?

That gives you a series of lessons which progress through the build process.

Follow those, step at a time, and there's your guitar at the end of it.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

100% agree - I am following that process now. But I already know from bitter experience that whenever I think "Oh, I'll just do that job now" I later on find myself saying "Oh, I wish I hadn't done that job then".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    TTony said:

Yes I did, and I will be using it again. Having said that, I'm a very non-linear person and couldn't possibly just do the whole thing in order. Last time I dipped in and out all over the place. The one thing I found difficult with the course was re-finding bits I'd seen but wanted to look at again. Once again, useful to keep a note book of lecture/ time in etc.