SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: 5150III 50-watt head [got]

Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited August 2016 in Amps £
Anyone got a 5150III 50-watt head going?

Don't want the cab. Just the head.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 619
    edited August 2016
    @Drew_fx  not seen many of these around lately...Andertons have a B stock black one at £750... might be worth throwing them an offer
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    bazxkr said:
    @Drew_fx  not seen many of these around lately...Andertons have a B stock black one at £750... might be worth throwing them an offer
    Yeah I saw those, but it looks like typically these heads sell for £500-550, so I think the Andertons ones are a bit overpriced.
    bazxkr said:
    Cheers dude. I went with that one in the end, £750 is still a decent price.
    Glad you got sorted.......didn't you have an EVH set up before or have I mixed you up with someone else ? If so have you gone back to it cos it is the best bang for buck ? The EVH gear seems very highly thought of...I been tempted by the 50w combo with the power soak on it.
    bazxkr said:
    Glad you got sorted.......didn't you have an EVH set up before or have I mixed you up with someone else ? If so have you gone back to it cos it is the best bang for buck ? The EVH gear seems very highly thought of...I been tempted by the 50w combo with the power soak on it.
    Yeah I had one before and loved it, but the 2nd channel volume jump pissed me off. This time round though I am going to get it modded so it doesn't happen.
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 196
    Great amps these and really don't need the power soak in my opinion, volume tapers are pretty good and very useable at bedroom levels even through a 212. I use mine at silly hours of the night and never wakes the missus or little one. Get one Baz!! ;) 
    Hey Chenz I don't need you to inflate my GAS I'm in enough trouble all on my own.........but I do like them....seems like a lot of thought has gone into them rather than just a generic signature piece Channel volume jump seems common with most amps....what kind of mod are you getting sorted @Drew_fx
    Drew_fx said:
    bazxkr said:
    Yeah I had one before and loved it, but the 2nd channel volume jump pissed me off. This time round though I am going to get it modded so it doesn't happen.
    I'd be interested is this mod too Drew, so please do tell!
    Hey fellas... I'm gonna try this:

Have you seen this mod, fitting dual concentric pots so the clean and crunch have different gain and volume controls? http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/FAQsPages/ModFAQsEVH5150IIIMini/tabid/1150/Default.aspx
    edited August 2016
    chenzman said:
    Have you seen this mod, fitting dual concentric pots so the clean and crunch have different gain and volume controls? http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/FAQsPages/ModFAQsEVH5150IIIMini/tabid/1150/Default.aspx
    Good find Vince....interesting & would seem to really answer all @Drew_fx needs....not a cheap mod mind but worth exploring with his tech before making a decision...and it categorically states it cures the cures the volume balance issue and probably turns a great amp into a brilliant one
    bazxkr said:
    chenzman said:
    Good find Vince....interesting & would seem to really answer all @Drew_fx needs....not a cheap mod mind but worth exploring with his tech before making a decision...and it categorically states it cures the cures the volume balance issue and probably turns a great amp into a brilliant one
    Shouldn't be THAT expensive I wouldn't have thought. My tech has mentioned the possibility of doing it before too, so I'll chat to him and we'll figure out what is the best approach. I lean towards the first approach though because a concentric pot can be a bit tricky in a live situation.