Custom CNC mdf body template cutting?

What's Hot
Hey guys

Anyone know/used any small one off CNC services that will do custom 18mm mdf templates that don't cost a bomb (services I've been quoted for atm via evilbay want £150 min to fire up the machine !)

Im planing a super tele build based on an ibanez FR,id just get the body ploted/printed and glue it to some MDF and bandsaw/sand it out from there like ive done with all my other builds ...but as this will have a recessed floyd rose with a HS pickup combo id like to get it all cnc'ed sorted in one package (my template design has a cut out section for the floyd area to swap out the various cuts/passes needed)

anyone here offer this kind of service?

Cheers
gizmo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1229
    tFB Trader
    You might stand a better chance of getting something laser cut cheaper in plastic then making your own templates in MDF from a master, that's how we do ours, but original ones aren't cheap whichever way you go. Cheaper if you can supply a drawing they can cut straight from.
    For someone to set up a CNC and make a MDF template one off you'll be looking at a high cost.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    edited August 2016
    Hey SSG

Thanks for the reply i hadn't thought of getting just a laser cut and transferring it myself great idea.

Ive just finished emailing a few ebay sellers who offer smaller one of cuts in plastic or mdf and i'll see what they have to offer

I have everything set out  as a high dpi raster and i can always convert/redraw as vector if needed

(hum can't seem to add a google photos link direct url's are now hidden by google...making g-photos worthless imo)

the idea for the multi pass/pocket floyd system came from this youtube vid

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    YouTube link doesn't work...I assume the square blocks drop onto the square hole in the main body template, to fulfil a separate function, neat idea.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    Vector will be a lot easier to work with than raster. They've still got to create the toolpaths from the drawings.

I have a CNC router, but I'd suggest getting a 6mm template cut by laser - out of laser ply or MDF. Then make your working templates from that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Hey guys

Many thanks for your replies they are very helpful

Found a handy guide to exporting paths from PS to I which saved me having to re-path everything,much cleaner now

So time to go ebay fishing for a laser cut template quote.....

btw new youtube link for the above video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-gd_eMhbrk

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1815
    Hi just as an aside, is there any reason not to build from say a 10mm acrylic laser cut. As I had a friend offer to do that for me. 
    That ought to work. I've always made copies of templates from ply though; if you get a sticky bearing on the router bit that can melt acrylic, whereas it'll just scorch ply. It's just good practice to make a template you don't much care about.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    Problem with laser is the thicker the piece the less chance the edges will be flat/straight due to the way lasers work.
    My sister uses a laser in her business (making craft products) and I wouldn't trust anything thicker than 6mm to have flat edges (she's made me a few pickguard templates in the past and I've resorted to doubling up two 6mm pieces)

Yup - also 6mm is quicker to cut so will cost less.
    Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback :) again it all very helpful

I got a few quotes back from various places and have decided to go for 6mm MDF from www.Lasersmith.co.uk @ £30 inc delivery(found them on ebay they make MDF xmas displays) that's about 1/3 of the cost some other services have quoted me for this template!

I'll update this thread with a few pic's once it arrives

Again Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
    Gizmo

Hey guys

So these arrived on tuesday but ive only just gotten chance to upload some pics....

First off DAM burnt MDF stinks......anyhows for £30 they did a top job everything is as layout in the .ai file i sent
    the 0.2mm cut allows the drop in sections to slot in and out without issue,i'll be making a 12mm ply copy of this once i get chance to rob some offcut's from my bros work scrap pile ;)

Im so happy with it these that i'll be sending them another template for a HM strat-a-like build ive been toying with for a while later this week,that one will have a few amendments to the floyd route drop in's (less rear cutout for the shorter rear bolt floyd) and a slight change to the humbucker route due to a base plate difference....anyhows a few pics

Cheers
    Gizmo