Jazzmaster Humming

I guess this is the right place for this thread? It's sort of modding, albiet probably a bodge job. My 60s Lacquer Jazzmaster is about two days from being thrown out of a window. It hums and buzzes like a total bitch. I'm not a newb- I know what I'm doing with wiring and this is impossible.

Things as a list:

-The guitar hums, louder than the standard single coil hum and much louder than my other guitars (US Strat and AV65 Jaguar)
-Whenever I touch something metal (bridge, strings, pickup screws, switch surround) the hum goes. Magic. Same for poking the metal barrel of my lead.
-Keep your hands on the strings you might say. I play in open tunings live and often both hands are not on the strings, when i touch them again the hum goes with a pop.
-I've even noticed when I touch the on/off switch of my amps the hum goes too.

Things I've done

-Rewired the whole guitar. Twice. It currently has a mojo wiring harness in it. Even wired without the rhythm circuit straight to switch and pots it was the same.
-Replaced the pickups. Mojo and lovely.
-Pulled the thimbles out and made sure they are grounded to the bridge. Done.
-Checked the whole thing with a DMM, resistance is zero or close to zero across the whole guitar.
-Tried different amps. Different parts of my house. At gigs indoor and outdoor. Still the same.
-Oh and it has a nice mastery bridge and tremolo, cos i like nice things to work properly.

Things I haven't done

-Looked into the shielding of the guitar, the black shielding paint is only over half of the neck pickup cavity. Problem?
-Replace the pickguard- everything else has been replaced except this. It has a nice sticker on it so I don't want to throw money at it and lose my sticker. The hum and pop is still there when the wiring harness is not joined to the pickguard.

I'm at a loss and it's really pissing me off. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? It's gotten worse since I got the guitar and it's currently sitting in bits on my desk as I trouble shoot it. I don't want to mess around with things that wont work and the internet is useless, i've been searching for weeks.

Help me please- you're (one of) my only hope(s).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments