Slightly O/S Humbucker Rings

So I'm currently looking to do a Jeff Beck/Seymour Duncan type Tele Gib and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any over size humbucker rings or have come across some that just come in a bit bigger than the others.
I'm thinking that the little bit extra might just help cover up the edges of the Tele bridge pickup route.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    tFB Trader
    Epiphone rings are a few mm wider than Gibson rings and might do the job. What width do you need? I can measure what I have and send you one if it fits.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    Would a Tele bridge plate with a humbucker cut out not do the job?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    @SteveRobinson mate that's ever so kind. Ideally cream/Ivory, flat rather than curved 3 to 5mm ish but obviously beggars and all that !

@paulbn57, nice thought but it's the Jeff Beck TeleGib aesthetic I'm after so chopped down bridge & pickup ring it is ! 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    tFB Trader
    I've only just realised that you need the pickup ring what I would call longer (along the length of the guitar) rather than wider (across the width of the guitar) to cover the Telecaster pickup rout. 

I'm sorry but I don't know any pickup ring which would do that. I'd probably place the pickup as far forward as needed and chop the bridge to butt up against it, if that would work?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    @SteveRobinson yeah I'm using one of those Shorty Wilkinson bridges as I'm a bit limited to workshop facilities at the minute so cutting metal might be a bit of an issue.. Funnily enough it does just graze the rear edge of the existing Tele pickup route, I'm thinking that might be to facilitate running a bridge earth up through the pickup route !
    Anyway, I figure I'll have to buy a couple of pickup rings see where they get me ! 

Thanks anyway for taking the time to think it through !
  • @DrBob, is the body already lacquered or will you be finishing it? I am just thinking that if the body is unfinished, and you have to do a bit of routing for the humbucker then it might be appropriate to plug the existing bridge pickup cavity first. Also, you could possibly extend the existing bridge pickup rout and drop in a rectangular piece of timber so only two glue lines would be visible and they would be parallel to the strings (the glue lines at 90° to the strings would be located under the bridge and under the pickup). Of course, if the body is already lacquered.....