Noob question....guitar grounding/earth

Ok then....stupid question time. I'm trying to establish my guitars grounding. (At least I think it's what I'm attempting to do!!). I'm such a guitar electronics noob that the multimeter that I bought didn't have a continuity setting on it. So.....I've got my guitar with a cable connected to the jack socket and using the ohm resistance tester section of my multimeter. I switch multimeter on in ohm setting and a number one is displayed. I touch probes together and number changes to zero. I touch metal bridge/plate with one terminal and touch the outer metallic casing of the cable that is in the jack socket. The meter readings for the three highest ohm settings all show as zero. The reading when set to 2000 ohms quickly reads 001..........When set to 200 ohms the readout goes haywire but settles between a 01.5 to 02.5 reading. Is the reading supposed to stay as 1 or reduce to (nearly) zero?  Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73199
    Zero is correct. The reason it reads a small non-zero number on the lowest range is because the meter leads have some resistance, as does the wire in the guitar - but it's still telling you there is a ground connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for answering....and saving my sanity. I knew that I should have borrowed that Dan Erlwine book about guitar repair and set up from the library when I had it in my hands the other day.