Les Paul control cavity rout

Hi 
I am not the most advanced builder and I have not tried a Les Paul before and I am still trying to get my head around varying information on the control cavity as I understand it being routed to two angles so the knobs sit correctly on the carved top. 

If anyone has any experience to pass on or good links I have looked at a few but have come away more confused as some seem to go for a standard depth and then doing slight counter sinks around two pots. Other seems to rout all the mahogany and then do two rout's on the maple.

Anything that brings a bit of clarity would be helpful

thanks Jez 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17007
    Yeah, the two solutions you suggested work. The third, and most authentic way is to angle the route so it just about follows the top.  

The authentic way can also give crooked knobs, so don't assume it's the best or right way unless you are in the replica game
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1815
    I had a look at your deluxe build thread which I was watching earlier in the year, how did you approach the cavity on that. 

Any thoughts would be helpful

thanks

jez

edited August 2016
    Oh yeah, the 4th solution.   Long shaft pots

i think that's actually what I did ??? I will check later

edit:  I did use long shaft pots :)
    Ok I would ask for your patience and indulgence at this point as I take a while to grasp some concepts.

so is the issue just thickness of wood and length of pot shaft .

or having the pots at a specific angle to the top carve so not just popping through the curve at a straight 90 degree to that curve. What you get with a straight cut  all to the same depth.

gill yaron on his build thread talks about it being two separate routs and he calculates the angles based on the finished  slop of his carve.

as I am not building an exact replica I will go with the path of least resistance unless the two angled routs are the only way that really works.

again thanks for your time
    Gil does it the proper way, which gives wonky looking knobs just like a real vintage Gibson they sit parallel with the top carve.

doung it with a single route and long shaft pots means they sit parallel with the back.  However, they can also look wonky if you are used to looking at vintage gibbons, and it's sometimes harder to make them feel as secure.  It needs additional nuts and lock washers

both ways work, it's just a choice for what you want

Thanks think I have it...

cheers
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    If you enlarge the pot hole to say 10mm 
    for cts pots it gives enough movement for the pot to sit flat on the top carve
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)