Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Football thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    munckee said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    We certainly don’t lack belief and we will try to play football and win the game (we need to after all!)

An early Man C goal could kill our belief but the fact the tie is even still alive after a trip to the Etihad is more than we could have dreamed!
    Best of luck mate, you haven't even asked but I for one will devote a lucky poo to you lot later.
    Very kind sir!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What better way of comparing how this game has changed; on the day that Sanchez signs for The Reds at a zillion quid a cross, Jimmy Armfield passes away. 

I know which I gave most thought to. 
    Wiz!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1163
    edited January 2018
    quarky said:
    Not sure what to think about Sanchez. A great player, but the money is insane for a player who could be signed for a free at the end of the season. £14m a year in wages, plus money to the agent, crazy. And Miki demanding to be the highest paid player at Arsenal is not a lot less crazy. 

I know it is only money, but these are not players who are 23/24 or younger, and being signed in January, are not going to win anyone the league this season.

And Carroll to Chelski?? Jesus..
    Arsenal fan here, glad the saga is finished and we can focus on the players that do actually want to be here. Should have sold Sanchez last season to be honest, how did it get this far?! Not overjoyed at Mkhitaryan coming, dont really rate him, almost 30 and did pretty much naff all at Utd. Also not happy we keep signing the same type of player, attacking midfielders who operate wide. We have too many of those type of players, though we've sold Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Cazorla, Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere and now Shittataryan can play that role.

What we need is a Kante, a Fernandinho, a Matic. Since Vieira left in 2005 we haven't really replaced him. And we've sold Coquelin to Valencia which isn't helping.

Ozil might stay to be fair but don't really care too much if he goes, another one approaching his 30's and doesn't turn it on enough in the big games. Would rather sell and give Wilshere a pay-rise though he's not guaranteed to stay fit consistently.

Havent seen much of this Aubameyang guy either, interested to see what is Lacazette thinking though if he arrives.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    quarky said:
    Not sure what to think about Sanchez. A great player, but the money is insane for a player who could be signed for a free at the end of the season. £14m a year in wages, plus money to the agent, crazy. And Miki demanding to be the highest paid player at Arsenal is not a lot less crazy. 

I know it is only money, but these are not players who are 23/24 or younger, and being signed in January, are not going to win anyone the league this season.

Arsenal fan here, glad the saga is finished and we can focus on the players that do actually want to be here. Should have sold Sanchez last season to be honest, how did it get this far?! Not overjoyed at Mkhitaryan coming, dont really rate him, almost 30 and did pretty much naff all at Utd. Also not happy we keep signing the same type of player, attacking midfielders who operate wide. We have too many of those type of players, though we've sold Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Cazorla, Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere and now Shittataryan can play that role.

What we need is a Kante, a Fernandinho, a Matic. Since Vieira left in 2005 we haven't really replaced him. And we've sold Coquelin to Valencia which isn't helping.

Ozil might stay to be fair but don't really care too much if he goes, another one approaching his 30's and doesn't turn it on enough in the big games. Would rather sell and give Wilshere a pay-rise though he's not guaranteed to stay fit consistently.

Havent seen much of this Aubameyang guy either, interested to see what is Lacazette thinking though if he arrives.
    As a non Arsenal fan I have appreciated watching them on form more than any other team (except the mighty Portsmouth of course) and I really rate Wenger's style but anyone can see you have needed a replacement for Viera since he left.  Its nuts you just keep getting more attacking midfielders!
  • munckee said:
    quarky said:

As a non Arsenal fan I have appreciated watching them on form more than any other team (except the mighty Portsmouth of course) and I really rate Wenger's style but anyone can see you have needed a replacement for Viera since he left.  Its nuts you just keep getting more attacking midfielders!
    Its so frustrating when we get linked to ANOTHER attacking midfielder, Lemar, Mahrez, etc etc. 

Either get a dedicated "Makelele" type player and an out and out striker/centre back or don't sign anyone at all!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I heard Sanchez was a 4 bazillion quid a week.  Pogba will be seen with a strike protest sign so he can match his wages
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    edited January 2018
    I use to enjoy a win over Arsenal more than any other team in the league, but I do feel for Arsenal fans these days. They don't have the rich owners of some other clubs like City, Chelsea, or the legitimate income of clubs like United. They are not far off those though in terms of income, but they appear to spend like a much smaller team, even now that they are no longer building a new stadium. 

They still play attractive football, and I still rate Wenger, but you are right, they seem to have lost that steel that they had with no real though of replacing it. Even some of your great (and not so great) players in the past, whether Berkamp, Overmars, Petit, or the swathe of defenders, had that "streak" which seems to be missing. It isn't about skill, Arsenal have loads, but they just miss, as you said, that Vieira type player. I know football has moved on, but that role still has a place.

I would love to see Arsenal be able to combine the skill they have on the ball with that old fashioned graft, which they used to do so effectively, even for a couple of seasons.

I hope Miki does well at Arsenal. He was an Arsenal fan growing up I think, and he did well for United last season, but just not quite well enough. Maybe it was a clash of styles, maybe he didn't get enough of a run, but we owe the EL win to him, and he scored some great goals.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    Even Barca at their peak had pitbulls.  @BRISTOL86 that is how you go down fighting, top stuff.
    munckee said:
    Even Barca at their peak had pitbulls.  @BRISTOL86 that is how you go down fighting, top stuff.
    Yeah we gave it our everything. One stupid mistake from is in the first half killed the tie really, but even at 0-2(1-4) we never rolled over!

Ultimately it took almost the last kick of the game for them to beat us, on two separate occasions. That’s some going for little old Bristol City!
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    munckee said:
    Yeah we gave it our everything. One stupid mistake from is in the first half killed the tie really, but even at 0-2(1-4) we never rolled over!

Ultimately it took almost the last kick of the game for them to beat us, on two separate occasions. That’s some going for little old Bristol City!
    Your Lads have made a lot of friends.

You out fought my Boys, and nearly out fought the worthy Champions elect. 

Great to see such proud players scrapping to a standstill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BRISTOL86 said:
    munckee said:

Your Lads have made a lot of friends.

You out fought my Boys, and nearly out fought the worthy Champions elect. 

Great to see such proud players scrapping to a standstill. 
    Yeah, we’ve certainly had some very positive recognition. There’s something pretty special brewing here. I think automatic promotion is too much of an ask this year but a top six finish represents huge progress this year and I think we’ll be an attractive proposition to new recruits in the summer, assuming we stay down. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:

There’s something pretty special brewing here.
    I hope Shedman get the credit he deserves he's the true mastermind behind the club's fortunes.
    BRISTOL86 said:

I hope Shedman get the credit he deserves he's the true mastermind behind the club's fortunes.
    Certainly is! What a guy. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Certainly is! What a guy. 
    He's a legend of the game.  I remember seeing him on Football Focus and his songs really captured some of the best things about being a football fan.

Jokes aside, it's been a delight to see BC's run in the cup.  IMO, a lot of football fans/pundits/media etc get a bit sucked into thinking all football involves the EPL & Top 6 teams, but there's a lot more to football.

BC's run in the cup has been a breath of fresh air for a lot of football fans, myself included.

I really hope BC can continue their progress, and they're only 5 points off 2nd place and even if they can't achieve automatic promotion play offs should be achievable.
    Yes don’t get me started on the ‘no life outside the premier league’ mentality of pundits etc. Hearing pundits pretend to know about what’s happening in the Championship is quite funny. Some of the biggest names/best paid pundits are the most clueless. 

The cup run has certainly hindered our league form - played 4 or 5 games additional games in the last couple of months to most sides and our squad has been ravished by injuries. 

When we beat Man U (and 1st leg Man C) we had a back 4 completely made of centre backs, a left back on one wing, a central midfielder on the other and no recognised striker!

Got a few coming back from long term injury (including our club record signing) and we’re about to announce something of a coup signing (French striker from St. Etienne who is very highly regarded) so hopefully we can get back to winning ways in the league. 

The run in will be very interesting!
  • Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Just thought I'd post here as a miserable season for my 2 teams both turned around at the end! 

Man U fan, and another up and down season. At lockdown I thought that there was no was we would get top 4, so very happy that we came a surprising 3rd. I actually think that we have a potentially great team right now, lots of good young players so I'm hoping for better things in the coming years.

I also follow Luton Town having lived there virtually all of my life. Many highs and lows over the years. After about 5 years out of the league we finally got back in and then found ourselves in the Championship after a double promotion run. Well, we have been terrible all season, most of it either in a relegation position, or rock bottom and adrift. Well, a new manager (actually the old one back) for the last few matches of the season and somehow on the last day we pulled the rabbit out of the hat and survived the drop! So happy!

Yeah, that is all. Bring on the next season ....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14213
    edited August 2020
    There, The Football Thread revived for @Hattigol and @Moloch ;;;;

Bookmark it and enjoy!

I can assure you that this will be the last time I grace this topic with my presence.

Although, I wish @axisus ;would amend the title to put a capital 'T' on the word 'Thread' as it sends my OCD into overdrive.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

Good win for Inter tonight, I fancy them for the Europa.

Can’t see past Bayern for the Champions league.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7406

Good win for Inter tonight, I fancy them for the Europa.

Can’t see past Bayern for the Champions league.
    Bayern deserve another I reckon, classic euro champs for me.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!