[pics up] My First TheFretboard build thread! The 50's USA car-a-caster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited January 2014
    Okay, a coat later and I'm SO CLOSE to having enough colour.  I've had to use a cotton bud to apply some finish to some areas of the edge, which resisted colouring despite sanding and general roughing up.  So I have done this, then will wire wool it down. 

So here is a mock up which let me know it still needs a little more colour depth.  But it is so very close, and such a tasty colour.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    the stain is interesting in how it takes to the wood which can have vastly different properties in a few centimeters.. I think the coloured oils even that out a fair bit too :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus;132102" said:
    the stain is interesting in how it takes to the wood which can have vastly different properties in a few centimeters.. I think the coloured oils even that out a fair bit too :)
    It's the best and worst quality in wudtone I think. If you have an ugly piece of wood it will really look nasty unless you put so much on, it's totally solid (which can be done with this kit).

I'm looking to have it near solid, but still visibly woody. I was going to go totally solid, which would take forever in coats, but the body has some really nice grain and it'd be criminal to hide it all.
  • Basically, these kits which use white and stain are probably the easiest to use. The last one I did was very involved, but this is just a thin coat that dries satin for everything until you get the colour you want.
  • Slightly nervous about the next step.

Two ways to use the glitter. Mix with base coat for an all over slight glimmer and nice, sparkly edges and grain, or add neat to really highlight the grain.

I mixed, around 50/50 with the base coat and shook for a minute. I've put a coat on the back, still wet. When it's began to cure (an hour or so) I'll put a pic up. I suspect it'll be a faint effect, but I'm hoping it highlights the grain a little. It also means I can use multiple coats.

Fingers crossed it turns out okay. :( if not, it's a lot of work gone!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I wished I'd used silver to highlight the grain on my bass vi :)

Fingers crossed for ya.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    I wished I'd used silver to highlight the grain on my bass vi :)

Fingers crossed for ya.
    Well, here is a pic for you.  

It's quite a subtle effect, but clearly visible.  This is after just one coat, I'll probably add one more.  It just highlights it when it catches the light, and it's quite nice :)

• Aaaaand second coat on the back. I'm not sure whether it will work so well with two coats or whether it might actually spoil the subtle effect. I'll report back, if it's rubbish, I'll leave it as it is and clear coat.

• Okay, update. I noticed a few high spots in the finish, so I gave it a fairly hard wire wooling, which got me a wonderful flat finish. One last coat on, and it's the second coat of glittered base coat.

It looks stunning. Pics up tomorrow, when I start clear coating it. The glitter is fantastic though.

There are still some areas where I left too much finish on at once, especially in the cutaways which are a bit of a mare to finish. I'll try and think of a way to make those more even on my prs alike.

Anyway, I'm dead chuffed. Looks really great, can't wait till I can afford some honky tonk angels and wire the thing up.
  • Okay! 2 new pics.  One is of the top with the light after 4 coats of Wudtone gloss top coat.  The other is a close up of the side which hopefully shows how the grain is highlighted by the silver, but also that the colour itself has a faint glimmer to it in the right light.  

It's really quite attractive - still have enough top coats for another 5 coats or so on the whole body, then I'll buff it and maybe polish.  

You can see I might need to wet sand to 2000 grit or something before the very last top coat to try and get a more level finish.  It does look pretty good I think :) 

I have just over half of the base coat left, and just under half of the glitter+base coat mixture.  So... If anyone would like them to try their hand at Wudtone, you can have it for a fiver including post.  All you'll need to buy from Wudtone is the topcoat itself and you're ready to go and make a surfy coloured guitar! :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Looking good! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Thanks! It's so hard to capture the colour because my room is quite cold coloured, and it's a turquoise guitar... So it either makes it look browner than it is, or really pale!

Anyway, I'm dead chuffed. I've got a much nicer clear coat than I managed on the jazzmaster, so that's good. I'm really hoping it does the body justice.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited January 2014
    It's coming along.

Here is a side by side of my babies. Still in mockup phase, got enough top coat for a couple more I reckon, so that'll be 7 or 8 too coats in total. Then I'll buff it (by hand) by wrapping first a piece of paper around a tennis ball, then a microfiber cloth around the ball. Which should help get a bit of shine :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7339/12172445924_ed821fb884_b.jpg

No idea when I'll be able to afford pickups - I've arranged a trip to Europe, so my priorities are going to be that, the neck for this and the prs build gsp is working on for me. @theguitarweasel will have to wait before I place my order I fear.

His honky tonk angels sound like they'll be perfect though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom