The land line is going...

What's Hot
...don't know if it's a brilliant or terrible decision but if I can reprogramme my mother's phone to my mobile number that leaves nobody likely to call me on it who isn't trying to sell me some crap. Bit weird to think there won't be a house phone though. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Only people over 50 have land lines any more, they just get loads of spam calls. 

Ive got a landline for sky but there's no phone plugged in.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    We have a landline cos it's cheaper than standalone internet. Never plugged the phone in though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have a landline cos it's cheaper than standalone internet. Never plugged the phone in though.
    +1
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3691
    I have one, but it's a Vonage VOIP box which gives us free international calls for calling an elderly relative abroad who has no idea of Skype or other Internet-based communications. It's cheaper than using Skype calling.

The only people who call us are scammers.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I literally never use mine, except for 0800 numbers. If I didn't have broadband, I'd have no need for the landline, but I have broadband so I need it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630

I still find the odd circumstance when filling out an online form that a Landline number is insisted upon, such as recently arranging a Car Lease for example.

It's very old fashioned, but still seems to be a marker of a stand-up citizen in some quarters.

Pretty much the only reason I keep it.

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    We have to keep our landline because mobile reception is so crappy here
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    lloyd said:
    Only people over 50 have land lines any more, they just get loads of spam calls. 

I'm over 50 and I get a lot of spam calls! 

We've had Virgin broadband+basic cable+ landline but rarely use the landline and rarely use the cable. Going to just broadband about £15 per month; although it's taken me three calls to get to speak to someone who could give me a sensible answer. Knowing Virgin I suspect I will get a call off them about two days before the land line goes offering me something to keep it.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092

I still have a landline (52) but rarely get spam calls - it's usually either my Dad or customers.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    lloyd said:

We've had Virgin broadband+basic cable+ landline but rarely use the landline and rarely use the cable. Going to just broadband about £15 per month; although it's taken me three calls to get to speak to someone who could give me a sensible answer. Knowing Virgin I suspect I will get a call off them about two days before the land line goes offering me something to keep it.

Who is offering just broadband (without a telephone line or line rental)?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Paul_C said:

I still have a landline (52) but rarely get spam calls - it's usually either my Dad or customers.
    I'm 52 too and have to have a landline for my 72 year old sister to call me on....  
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    lloyd said:

Us over 50s wouldnt have anyone to speak to if it wasnt for the spam callers.......once you get to know them....

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    I think I saw an add for Vodaphone broadband with fibre and no landline
  • Isn't landline essential for most broadband? Having a landline improves credit score too i think. That said, never use mine and only have it for the broadband which near me is some of the worst in the UK.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30220
    Our landline doesn't work since the redecoration of the living room. I don't feel the loss particularly keenly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    paul_c2 said:
    lloyd said:

Virgin. Although it's a better deal as an existing customer than they offer to new ones. 
  • Sporky said:
    Our landline doesn't work since the redecoration of the living room. I don't feel the loss particularly keenly.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    paul_c2 said:
    lloyd said:

Virgin. Although it's a better deal as an existing customer than they offer to new ones. 
    Hmmm, that's interesting to know. We've had virgin for years and never use the phone these days. We looked into switching to broadband only a while ago but the info I found said there was hardly any price difference. Is the b/b still provided over fibre? Any idea what sort of speed will you be getting? 
    @boogieman I called them up the other week and after about twenty minutes of faffing got cut off. Called up again, more going around in circles and got cut off. Gave up. Tried again today, got through to cancellations, ten minutes all sorted.50mb ( if that's how you write it) same as at present. We are paying £43 something at present and going down to £29, so just under £15 a month less for services we basically don't use anyway. In theory the package we have now should be £59 but we have a loyalty discount. However, I've cancelled cable TV about three times before and each time they've contacted me before the due date and given me enough of an offer to stay on ( like the current discount; at one point we had it free for 6 months if we renewed our 12 month contract). 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Dammit - I'm practically hardwired to mine - although I use digital cordless phones and headsets.
    I wish I could get the same headset for my iPhone though - dont like the bluetooth ones much!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!