Carpenter prices

What's Hot
I'm still trying to find time to build a 1x12 cab...

So I had a brainwave that if I give the materials, which I already have, to a local carpenter he might be able to knock something up for me fairly cheap and I'll then put the role and grill cloth on.

Just got a quote from one guy of £250...

So stupid. I could buy a finished unloaded Zilla for less than that or a finished loaded MJW for only £20 more.

I know people have to make a living but for a pro with all the tools, it can't be much more than a morning to build the shell which means he wants to charge £500 a day!

Or am I massively underestimating the costs for this?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    I think you're underestimating the time involved, particularly if he's not done it before and is going to do it at all well.

Do you have plans? If not you're asking him to design it. If you do have plans, are they complete, not just a cutlist? So all the joints detailed? If not then you're still asking him to design it. Assuming the plans are complete and detailed then you're asking him to do all the marking out, measuring and cutting, then all the assembly. Cutting a large, neat, round hole is also a non-trivial task.

If he's good at it he may well be able to charge £500 a day for some jobs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    Do you want any internal bracing? Is the baffle hole cut out? How do you want it jointed? (Butt joint, Finger joint etc.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Also bear in mind that a speaker cabinet maker is completely geared up for just that sort of work, therefore they will have systems and processes in place to make the job more efficient - plus will probably be making more than one at one time. This keeps costs down.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    He may have quoted a high price because he didn't want to do the job.
    Its been done before.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Fair points.

I was going to give him detailed plans and only wanted butt joints, maybe the baffle dadoed in to the cab, with a bit of bracing.

Back to having a go myself I guess.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    tFB Trader
    Chris - what cab are you looking for ? something special and specific or just a 1x12 etc?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

@FelineGuitars Ideally I want to make the old style Cornford oversize 1x12.

Have you got a 1x12 for sale then?
    If not I've got an oversized cab that I need to get rid of. The baffle's cut for 2x10 but a 12 will go in fine, it's to the Award Session plans.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    tFB Trader
    Got a Marshall 1912 1x12 but maybe not oversized enough for you

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If he's already got the tools then it should be very quick work if you've been clear about what you want. I suspect you're asking a construction joiner rather than a pukka carpenter.
    I can't remember how much I specified other than dimensions and that I only wanted butt joints but he said "at least £250".  I think he was advertising himself as more of a cabinet maker.
    Chalky said:
    If he's already got the tools then it should be very quick work if you've been clear about what you want. I suspect you're asking a construction joiner rather than a pukka carpenter.
    Surely building a cabinet is joinery, not carpentry?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:
    Surely building a cabinet is joinery, not carpentry?
    I'm sure you're right but I hear the word joiner used for everybody who goes near wood round here.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    How much would he charge if you provided the wood, tolex, glue and screws?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    I'm guessing that was a tongue in cheek comment but £250 was the price quoted with me providing the wood and doing the tolex myself...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    CHrisP86 said:
    I'm guessing that was a tongue in cheek comment but £250 was the price quoted with me providing the wood and doing the tolex myself...
     ;) 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    He's simply covering his back because he doesn't know how to build one. A 'cabinet maker' in his world is someone who makes China cabinets!!