Realigning Strat pick guard - best way?

My partscaster pickguard is a bit off kilter but when I plugged in some bits of matchstick and tried to redrill holes it was much harder than expected. Any tips? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    Use a bradawl to start things off? Poke through the centre of each scratchplate hole.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I'd heard that superglue fills existing "off" holes but that could get messy...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73199
    Do you mean it's hard to drill new holes, or that it's hard to stop the screws trying to 'find' the old ones - if it doesn't need moving very far?

If it's the second, the only solution is to pack the holes as tightly as possible with the hardest wood you can (matchsticks are nowhere near hard enough), and drill (ie with a drill, not with the screws!) pilot holes accurately for the new positions before you try to put the screws in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes, the screws head back to original holes after I drilled new (but very near) holes and shoved matchstick pieces in! May just accept it as is...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73199
    Try toothpicks not matchsticks - they're hardwood - and hammer in as many as you can force into the hole, the pointy end helps! With wood glue first of course. If you manage to really ram it tight the filled hole will actually be harder than the surrounding wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Right. Time to buy some toothpicks.