Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best opening scene in a movie...

What's Hot
My lad is about to embark on a film course at college. 
His first assignment is to study the opening scene of a movie, and then discuss it. 

So, what's your favourite/best opening scene....any genre.....from any period.....?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lion King
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arsene Wenger!!!!!!!!!
  • Ooooh Swordfish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Gotta be Saving Private Ryan for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Sexy beast with The stranglers, Ray Winstone and that boulder!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    The film that had the most effect in me was the opening shot of Star Wars when the rebel ship was chased down by the imperial cruiser. That HUGE ship, with all the lasers firing and that rumbling sound was mind blowing at 9 years old in 1977.

I think there are technically better openings but that is the one i remember most.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    FInding Dory. Honestly.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Star Wars and Blade Runner jump immediately to mind. Blazing Saddles with the railroad scene. Saving Private Ryan is remarkable as well. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    Also

The Italian Job.

I still can't believe they trashed that Lambo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• The Godfather is an obvious classic opening that sets the tone of the characters perfectly and lays some pointers for the narrative that follows.  

The Searchers opening shot of the pan through the doorway and the arrival of John Wayne's character is worth a look, too. 

Alien and Aliens are both worth considering.   Oh, Goodfellas - brilliant opening scene.

I love films!   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The godfather is good. I also adore the opening scenes to the grand Budapest hotel. 

I love the opening to oldboy - that's a great opening scene, sets the tone of discomfort and dislike for the entire movie brilliantly. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5200
    Pulp Fiction

:) 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited August 2016
    Dark Knight Rises - the plane
    Dark knight - heist
    Up
    Fincher's are always good

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. 

Now I don't really like the HP films but the use of location,  etc,  is stunning. 

Almost all the Bond films; the opening sequence often the best thing in the movie and often only semi related to the rest of it. Pick at random although Spectre isn't a bad one and is an interesting contrast with the almost cartoon like opening sequences of say the Moore period Bond ones. 

Inglorious Bastards (however you spell it). Terrible,  terrible film but a long,  suspenseful opening sequence. I'd suggest given the pace and length it's am unusual one. 

+1 on the Italian Job. IIRC there's a Top Gear doc on how they did it,  peiced all the roads together.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    edited August 2016
    A Touch of Evil, Orson Welles back in 1958, the posthumously re-edited version according to Welles' notes...changing the game, again. Absolute genius.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    The film that had the most effect in me was the opening shot of Star Wars when the rebel ship was chased down by the imperial cruiser. That HUGE ship, with all the lasers firing and that rumbling sound was mind blowing at 9 years old in 1977.

I think there are technically better openings but that is the one i remember most.

Agreed, I was 10 and still remember that jaw dropping feeling I had in the cinema as the scale of the imperial star destroyer is revealed

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    For me its all about the score and how that sets the scene, therefore it's Watchmen and The Departed that get my vote.
  • Serenity has a great tracking shot opening- Kiss Whedon discusses it in the commentary on the DVD. 

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Not the best opening scene (in fact the opening scene is fairly rubbish) but the best first half hour of a movie is Frozen. Up to and including Let it Go. After that it tails off rapidly.

The opening scene that I remember being most wowed by was Fellowship of the Ring. The moment in the war between elves/men and Sauron where the elves all sweep up with their spears/glaives/whatever as the orcs hit them was, like, "What the very fuck am I watching now!?!"
  • While I think about it..
    Trainspotting

Indiana Jones 1

The Matrix