EB-3 style Bass

Some of you who have followed previous threads know that I have done a couple of builds in the past for our old-gits-band's bassist, Pete.  He's a bit of a Jack Bruce fan so got me to build him a JB Warwick Thumb tribute fretless bass but he also is a pretty good lead player and got me to build him an SG style 6-string.  Well, we're back to Jack Bruce.  This time it's an 'in the style of' EB-3 Bass (the bass version of the SG).

He's not a purist (just as well) and isn't after a replica so has left me to do my creative thing - other than it has GOT to be cherry red!

I'm well on with the build but will post a few progress shots.

The spec I'm going for is:
  • Through neck (the original wasn't)
  • 34" scale (the original was 30")
  • DiMarzio Model One neck humbucker (the original had a nickel covered Mudbucker)
  • Mahogany back; fancy mahogany top (original was solid mahogany)
  • Mahogany neck with walnut centre splice
  • Ebony fingerboard
  • The infamously bad Gibson three-point bridge (so there is at least a passing nod to the original)
So the thing will balance at 34", I've also taken a few liberties by placing the bridge well back and offsetting the top horn forwards a touch

Anyway, a few shots bringing it up to date:

Flattening one of the back panels

Clamping the neck.  The centre splice is offset to create the trussrod channel

Speak of the devil and you see his horns ( and his face, and the flames)!

Notch routed out of the neck and main components cut:

Back panels glued to neck with wenge demarcation veneer.  Chambers and control runs marked for routing:

Top on with wenge demarcation veneer:

Top chamfered, scraped and shaped:

...and that's pretty much where I've got to so far :) 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    Been following on Basschat....bloody awesome....again!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1402
    I have a feeling that, if there was a model of SG with through-neck construction, it would solve some of the frequent neckdive problems that the design seems to have.

I look forward to a build thread of epic proportions!
  • This is fascinating - I am eagerly looking forward to the rest of this build thread. It looks superb so far!
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1863
    Wow! Another amazing looking project. More inspiration too. Looking forward to seeing how it develops
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17007
    bbill335 said:
    I have a feeling that, if there was a model of SG with through-neck construction, it would solve some of the frequent neckdive problems that the design seems to have.

Why?  The proportions and weight distribution are the same regardless of neck join.

although I have built one, with a 24 fret 25.5" scale neck..... but I moved the strap button so it was hidden behind the top horn.  That balanced okay 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited August 2016
    I agree with @WezV here, @bbill335  that a through neck - although having a number of advantages - would make no difference to the infamous neck dive issue.

This is a particular challenge with a bass because the neck is so much longer than an SG guitar, and yet the body is essentially the same size.  Add to that, the original EB-3 was 30" scale and Pete wants 34"....

For the electric six string I built  (also for Pete, as it happens) I left the strap buttons per original but made the body thicker than a Gibson for more body weight:

Just look at the depth in the cutouts - closer to a Les Paul than an original SG.

But the advantage of the bass is that the bridge is much further back, reducing the apparent length of the neck.

Nevertheless, the originals did neck dive and - usually - the top horn (and therefore strap button) of a bass is  MUCH further forward.  Take the Cort Curbow, for instance:

So with the very short horns of the SG, and the weight-relieved body, neck dive is a real concern

Time will tell whether this does balance OK, but the things I've done, based on the fact that this is an 'in the style of' rather than a straight copy are:

• Placed the bridge further back than the EB-3
    • Increased the throw of the top horn.  On an SG the top horn actually is bigger than the bottom, but this one will be almost offset
    • Planning then, as WezV has suggested, that the strp button will be at the back of the tip of the top horn
    • Probably use Hipshot ultralight tuners
    • I also left the top rear weight-relief chamber uncut to keep some weight in the rear of the body
    It's a fascinating subject because the weight distribution and position of the strap buttons also affects how the bass hangs and - on a long-scale bass - can be the difference between being able to play comfortably and not be able to reach the first fret at all!!

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Back to the build progress, the rough carve for the back and neck heel is complete:

Next jobs are truss-rod, fretboard and neck carve :)