Wizard retiring...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    My Manson 'Kents' were potted in purple sparkle resin ... and used to kick out some serious racket!
    I have a hankering for an old Shergold ... ideally one to restore ... as nice ones are really at a premium these days :(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1465
    Big fan of Wizard Pickups - a real shame that he's giving up.  Superb sounding and without the over-inflated price tag of BKP.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    Kent's hand-wound stuff was great - some of the early offerings that he designed and had made in Korea weren't bad , but the hand-wound stuff was lovely. Kent is still winding in Vermont USA and his son Aaron is running the UK hand-wound business.

I knew Andy from his days at Kent Armstrong's place and later he ran rewinds under the Armstrong name till shifting over to Wizard. I hope he enjoys his new adventure

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    JookyChap said:
    That's a book there Ash...
    If it turns out to be a paper book, rather than a blog, then interest from this forum should help you get a publisher/printer interested
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11104
    tFB Trader
    Lol conversations repeat themselves ... FelineGuitars.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    Yes -pretty much what we spoke of yesterday.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    A +1 for Marc at Mojo Pickups. I've got one of his broadcaster pickups and it's such a good Tele bridge pickup. I wouldn't have heard of him if it weren't for Jooky. :) RIPPLES, GUYS
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    ICBM said:
    I agree, but some of his work borders on deliberate vandalism. There was no sensible reason for a lot of it, and the workmanship was often poor which makes it even less excusable.
    he did it at a time when most repairman would do stuff we now consider stupid

and john birch did have an excuse, he knew best.   Never forget that john birch knew best and everyone else's ideas about guitar are wrong

I love mine and am really happy now it has some original pickups, but yeah, i have seen some horrible conversions and shoddy work on early or one off john birches.   my factory les paul style is pretty much perfectly built apart from the 4 massive splits it got from an almighty accident... i brought it like that and was nicely surprised when it turned up still playing quite nicely  
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    I bought some old guitar mags from a charity shop years ago. I'm pretty sure one of them had features on J.Birch, Overwater, Flyte etc. It'll be up in the loft. i'll try digging it out and if any one wants it, you can let me know
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Monty's guitar pickups. Great set I have i.e. Humdingers.

I did have a set of wizard pickups but I just didn't get on with them and sent them back. That was quite a few years back now and my tastes have changed :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Just found out about this - I've got a set of pickups from Andy in one of my basses and had always planned on going back to him when I got the time/cash to finish a couple of project guitars I've got here.  Top bloke and great service, and his pickups transformed a bass that was only staying around on sentimental value (my first bass, a Squier P-Special) into a gigging machine that got almost as much playtime as my 'nice' basses.  Hope he enjoys a well earned retirement!
  • I bought a Bulldog pickup 2nd hand off this forum, and it was excellent. Spoke via email with Hayden a couple of times and he was never less than extremely helpful and knowledgable.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    No one's mentioned Shed Pickups yet...?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Ah yes of course. I had a set of his supernaturals and they were great. I only sold them recently cos I wanted to wire the out of phase via a push pull etc. which you can with them :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    There's also Sidewynder in Scotland - I tested a couple of their pre-production models a few years ago but I haven't heard a lot about them since. They're good pickups - very modern-voiced, which might not be flavour of the month at the moment - but unfortunately rather poorly marketed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I bought a Bulldog pickup 2nd hand off this forum, and it was excellent. Spoke via email with Hayden a couple of times and he was never less than extremely helpful and knowledgable.

Agreed. When I ordered from him, he actually listened to what I wanted and nailed the tone exactly. I used the Jackson with the Bulldog through a Laney Practice amp at a Jam on Saturday and it sounded absolutely fantastic.
    As I've said before, thoroughly recommended

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    That's a real shame, I have a set of Ozones which I really rate....for me I prefer them to Fralin Blues Specials and Lollar Dirty Blackface. I was eyeing up their "Revellation" set for my new Strat build but alas it looks like I'm too late. :(
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    I had some wizard pickups for a strat, bought here, err well that "other place". They were wonderfull, nuff respect to the guy. We are pretty lucky i reckon to have these cool guys handwinding a various choice of quality pickups. Obviously wizard was a pioneer but iv got a set of Oil City pickups (cowtrons) and a set of Mojos golden foils , just amazing quality and sounds on tap.
    These guys will be by first port of call everytime i want new pickups, very happy to support uk guys. ;)
    edited August 2013
    Oops
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    so who's the go-to guy for repairs/rewinds now ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister