England Football Team

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5110
I am not English but watch the progress of the England team with more than a passing interest. Many years ago I heard the comment that the England squad and team were selected by the sports writers of "The Daily Tit" and not by the England manager. This is still happening, there are adverse reactions to the omission of Ross Barkley from the squad in the tabloids. How can the England manager fix the problem if everything he does is criticized or commented upon. Big Sam must be given his head, a chance to see the players at his disposal and evaluate their qualities they bring to the squad. Otherwise nothing will change and England supporters can expect quick exits from the major finals.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    He has selected the best team I think 

I can't think if anyone who deserves a place who hasn't got it (maybe rashford, being a united fan) 

But unfortunately on paper they don't have a chance. Compare the starting 11 to the top 10 ranked teams and many English players wouldn't make it in to many other teams 

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    edited August 2016
    Sam as Sunderland manager "Defoe should be in the England squad.

Sam as England manager: Doesn't pick Defoe.

However he hasn't picked Wilshere so he clearly does know what he's doing.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    The difference between England soccer and rugby was when Hodgson said, after drawing with the 28th best side in the world 'We did really well' whereas Eddie Jones, after smashing the #2 in the world in their back garden said "We need to get a lot better...'

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Being the manager of England's football team is a poisoned chalice IMHO.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• NeilNeil Frets: 3848
    Gassage said:
    The difference between England soccer and rugby was when Hodgson said, after drawing with the 28th best side in the world 'We did really well' whereas Eddie Jones, after smashing the #2 in the world in their back garden said "We need to get a lot better...'
      The other difference being that only very few nations play rugby and the whole world plays football (I won't call it soccer), so far more competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3848
    Deijavoo said:

Indeed.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Rocker said:
    Many years ago I heard the comment that the England squad and team were selected by the sports writers of "The Daily Tit" and not by the England manager. This is still happening, there are adverse reactions to the omission of Ross Barkley from the squad in the tabloids. How can the England manager fix the problem if everything he does is criticized or commented upon.
    Because Sam is big enough to deal with everything being criticised and commented on without it affecting what he does.

There is a huge difference between the tabloids picking the team and commentating on what happens.

Jack Wilshere is a fantastic footballer, but he isn't fit, so he shouldn't be playing for England at the moment. Sam seems to be sending the message that you need to be fit and playing regularly to play for England, which sounds obvious, but successive England managers have failed to do it.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    This is the first squad he has picked. He hasn't worked with most of those players at all. They are generally supposedly our best, so it makes sense to see what he thinks of them up close. Mentality, Personality and ability to follow instructions will all get assessed I would imagine. Plenty of time for him to move on from here. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    International football is not the same as the club game. The International manager must know how he wants his team to play. He must be given the scope to do just that. There is no point in picking a "good" player if he does not know or fit in the managers plan. I like big Sam. I expect some changes in personnel on the England team over the next year. The press may not like it but if it gets results......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Totally disagree, the manager needs to form a plan that best fits the players he has available.

Pepe can just decide he doesn't want Joe Hart and go buy a new keeper, Big Sam doesn't have as many options available to him.

Obviously if his best players are 3 left backs he probably can't play them all, but equally if he wants to play 4-2-3-1 but doesn't have a number 10 or a big target man of a suitable quality he'd be better off changing formation.
  • As a Spurs fan I just hope he doesn't start with any of our players. Kane, Alli and to a lesser extent Dier are not fully fit, while Walker picked up a knock at the weekend. I don't think he'll fancy Rose - he seems to prefer more physically imposing full backs.
    edited August 2016
    I don't think he'll fancy Rose - he seems to prefer full backs to be full backs.
    Fixed that for you ;)
    @Christy108, your first sentence defines a club manager. Defines a club manager perfectly. International managers think tactics and choose the players who can fit the tactical plan.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

What? You make no sense @Rocker.

A club manager can buy players to fit his plan, an international manager can only pick from a pool of about 50 players at any given time. The club manager has much more flexibility with tactics.
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 656
    edited August 2016
    I don't think he'll fancy Rose - he seems to prefer full backs to be full backs.
    Fixed that for you
    I'm perfectly happy to have fans of other teams underrate one of our key players ;)
    @Chrispy108, sorry I cannot make it any clearer for you than I did. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Indeed, we all know you struggle to communicate effectively ;)

Look at Wales - Coleman has said that when he took the job he wanted to play a passing game, and that he wanted to play 4-4-2, but he tried it, and he didn't have the right mix of players to do it, so he changed to be more direct with a back 5. They were successful.

Hodgson insisted on playing 4-3-3 despite having no wingers, attacking midfielder or a target man. Look how that went.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    Neil said:
    Deijavoo said:

Indeed.
    But he's picked Theo Walcott. Btw I am an Arsenal fan.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I'm 100% behind Sam. I hated Hodgson, he was rubbish. I'm so glad we have someone new in, I'm happy for him to do exactly what he thinks. The media can feck off. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I suspect the main difference we will see is he will (at least initially) actually pick players on form. Statistically checked form. How long this lasts is a different story however.