Educate me on trem systems

What's Hot
Hi 
Other than an Ibannez S series I owned and now miss my only experience with trems system  is the classic Fender 6 screw style. 

I have a number of build ideas in the works and I wanted to do a sort of cut down rock machine Super Strat single humbucker good trem and just a volume may be tone but as cutdown as it gets. 

I was happy enough with the Edge 2 trem and I want this to have something with some decent up and down. 
Is that basically territory of Floyd Rose or are there other options that are easier to work with. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    if you wanna hear the wood in the guitar, vintage. if not, 2 point.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    I love the fender offset tremolos, Jag/Jazz and the mustang. A properly set up Mustang trem will do a deep dive and return to tune if set up correctly, and you can have a bit of up pull. Much less ugly than those big floyd things, and you'd only have to route the top of the guitar.
  • Put a 100 people in a room and ask that question you will get 100 different answers ;)

My take, for what it is worth, is that, while you can achieve excellent tuning with a well set up 6 or two point 'standard trem', nevertheless for extreme dives and pulls and not wanting to worry about setup and the standard maintenance of that set up, then a floyd is hard to beat.

Trouble is, that SOME of the licensed ones are not so reliable and the genuine FR are stupendously expensive in comparison.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Wilkinson or Hipshot 2 post terms are the best option imho. If you want Floyd / Ibanez levels of whammy action without the locking faff I'd go Hipshot as the Wilkinson is very good but not quite as deranged ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Kahler.

Easiest to fit, huge bend range, nearly as stable as a Floyd.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Vibrato...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom