Ampeg J-20 head transplant

Finally bit the bullet and spent the last few weeks building a head cab for my Ampeg J-20.  They're great amps that are totally stymied by excessive cab rattle in their stock combo form.  I tried many many things to alleviate this...tube dampers, weatherstrip tape lining, you name it...and nothing came close to 100% curing it.

Gave up trying to find reasonably priced blue-check tolex in stock anywhere, so used generic black, plus a piece of leftover Traynor reissue grille-cloth I had knocking around (it's a fairly close match to some old ampeg cloths).  Head cab is softwood shelf board, cut and glued with sliding rebate joints.  Only a few boo-boos during the build...a tolex cut/nick here and there (which I've covered pretty well), and a bit of sweating when I thought the wiggle room I'd allowed wasn't going to cut it...but I'm well happy with how it turned out.  A couple of hasty pics...

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

Cheers
YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, good job with the grille cloth too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited September 2016

Nice Job.   I have one of these and I'm lucky as it doesn't rattle at all. 

Did you mod the circuit in yours at all?  I found it quite harsh on the treble channel when I got it.  Few easy circuit mods has tamed that, plus a pot in the bias circuit to tame the output valve bias.  Really happy with it now.  

• ESchap said:

Nice Job.   I have one of these and I'm lucky as it doesn't rattle at all. 

Did you mod the circuit in yours at all?  I found it quite harsh on the treble channel when I got it.  Few easy circuit mods has tamed that, plus a pot in the bias circuit to tame the output valve bias.  Really happy with it now.  

Lucky chap.  Mine definitely had a big frequency-dependent rattle which I just couldn't shift.

I just added a bias pot into mine, and switched to JJ 6V6s.  The bright channel is very bright...I've been running it with the tone between 9 and 10 o'clock, and that works for me.  Also a fan of running through both inputs in parallel (using an ABY or pedal with stereo outs).
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE