Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HONESTLY..how busy are you?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Without a doubt, the people who complain most about being busy in my office are the ones who start late, take long breaks, talk a lot and surf the net a lot. They feel busy because they shrink their hours down by doing other things, then complain of the pressure.

I am busy, but don't feel busy, although I surf the net a bit, I don't really talk, I start early and finish late.
    Some might be, but being given two other people's jobs on top of your own for no extra reward definitely means you get too busy and need to complain about it :)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I reckon I'm at 110% to be honest, both the senior person above me and the junior person below me left in May and I've been doing both of their jobs and my own since. Fed up of it but since we were taken over...sorry "merged"...they don't give a flying fuddle
    Just do less (a manageable amount) and put it down to lack of resource?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited September 2016
    lloyd said:

I work in building maintenance. Start at 06.30 ,finish at 19.20 on Days.

18.00 to 07.15 on nights.

Walk between 10 and 15 miles a day.

We have NO lunch or tea breaks, eat when you can. Some days we don't eat.

Have to deal with staff, contractors ,cleaners ,security ,post room, IT, and do EVERY thing form controlling /monitoring the BMS,A/C, AHU's, Chillers, Boilers. blinds ,windows, carpets, taps, soap dispensers, doors, lighting ,power, UPS systems, Data centres ,floods, kitchens, tiles, ceilings, Fire alarm systems ,  access control,  ,painting ,reports, admin, plant checks,  desks  ,chairs W Fi, ordering materials, PPM;s , and readings, gas  drains, access control , cameras, showers, gym equipment , lifts , pest control , wayer treatment , tanks ,generators , Crak units ,transformers , meter readings keys, furniture , clocks , water mains, pumps,  to unblocking the bogs. NOTHING is not our responsibility, yet some feel the maintenance sit on their arse all day waiting for a phone call.

Plus we have four other buildings to look after ,so 3,500 people to please.

There is two of us on shift, if one is off  you get to work with someone from an agency  who knows nothing about the buildings.

It's a bit busy.

I hope they pay you well, if not, you should find a new job!
    We (the enguneers) all got an email mail on Friday.
    The first line was
    "This has to stop.I am being embaressed and my reputation is being damaged"
    From our manager,who obviously thinks we are lazy ,useless cunts. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    My business varies. July was awful; struggled to get appointments, hardly any work. August improved a little; September looks chocka.

On the upside them upstairs understand this, and I work mostly from home when not out and about. So when I'm not work-busy, Sprocket gets an extra walk and I do more cello practice. Tomorrow I have a surveyor and groundsworker coming to get started on a new workshop. My boss knows and is quite happy about it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10007
    I have to get X amount of reports written up per month so there's no scope for slacking. Plus I'm going for promotion and have to prove I can sustain the workload of someone who's a grade above me (and being paid a lot more). On the plus side it's impossible to take work home with me and also impossible to work more than my contracted hours. Seems like a fair deal to me.

When I worked in the electronics industry I had one job where I had nothing to do for weeks on end, I was sat in a windowless room on my own and my boss didn't care what I did. I had another job where the pressure gradually mounted over several years until I was regularly working an extra day's worth a week until they made me redundant.
  • Without a doubt, the people who complain most about being busy in my office are the ones who start late, take long breaks, talk a lot and surf the net a lot. They feel busy because they shrink their hours down by doing other things, then complain of the pressure.

I am busy, but don't feel busy, although I surf the net a bit, I don't really talk, I start early and finish late.
    Some might be, but being given two other people's jobs on top of your own for no extra reward definitely means you get too busy and need to complain about it :)
    Yes, but that's not the case here. We are staffed well and the only time we get "really" busy is when someone leaves and we have to train a new person up, or at the end of the fiscal year when every company tries to spend every last cent of their remaining budget for fear they will lose it next year.

Yesterday one of my colleagues spent 2 hours on the phone to the sale steam, of which 15 mins was business, the remaining 1hr 45 was personal chat (open plan office, you can hear it all). At the end of the day she was the complaining about how much work she has... yet the rest of her team are fine.
  • No you are right @teetonal a lot of people don't help themselves to eradicate the need to moan, in various ways. Myself included - I think for some people it's the chaterring or internet surfing, or for others like me it's not being able to say no or caring too much about the quality of service to allow others to mess it up and pin the flack on me... Cynical much? haha
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • I am a child care court social worker. I can't even come close to doing everything that expected of me, let alone everything I'd like to do within the hours of a working week. i constantly work evenings and weekends without pay and with little to no hope of getting the hours back 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I have literally nothing to do right now, I could probably find something menial to get on with, but I can't be arsed-I'm hopefully handing my notice in on Thursday, so I'm pissing about on YouTube.

God I hate this job.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7559
    edited September 2016
    Exceptionally busy. 

I work 9-5, Monday to Friday. I read books about business and photography in my spare time, compile/update a basic business plan. I cook dinner and lunch for the following day. At weekends, I look after nan. I also work on my portfolio and learn more editing processes each week. My commute, including a two mile walk each way, is about 3 hours per day so not awful but enough. 

It adds up to not ever having a day off - but I don't mind, right now. Working toward something helps. And I like being busy. 

I take regular short breaks to keep going. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I'm busy outside of my day job, just not while I'm here!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2778

Just been told to dedicate 20% of my time to a particular project to ensure that it succeeds. I tried to explain that since we currently have six hours of meetings already for that project, that only leaves about two hours a week to actually do any design work.

It fell on deaf ears I think.