Shaving Soap

What's Hot

Comments

• This morning I grabbed my razor and started shaving the soap, I got down about half way and the whole thing started to to turn into a mushy mess

I got this shaving soap thing wrong didn't I?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This arrived today. £27 inc p+p as you get 10% off the first order.

Came withe a 5 pack of Feather blades which I hesitantly scraped across my cheek. First impressions are, well built, nice grippy and comfortable handle. I was a bit worried about using it after having the sculpted, rubberised, hinged handle and head with rollerball and active face tracking tech TO THE MAX!!!! Gillette-o-majig 5 blade lubetastic-a-tron 5000 that i use, but it was a nice, close test shave. I need a bowl and brush to complete the rig but otherwise Im happy.
    Let the weight of the razor do the work. Lots of short strokes and keep the blade clean and un-blocked.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    This arrived today. £27 inc p+p as you get 10% off the first order.

Came withe a 5 pack of Feather blades which I hesitantly scraped across my cheek. First impressions are, well built, nice grippy and comfortable handle. I was a bit worried about using it after having the sculpted, rubberised, hinged handle and head with rollerball and active face tracking tech TO THE MAX!!!! Gillette-o-majig 5 blade lubetastic-a-tron 5000 that i use, but it was a nice, close test shave. I need a bowl and brush to complete the rig but otherwise Im happy.
    Be careful when screwing and unscrewing the head from the handle, I had one of those and after a year or two the thread completely crumbled so I had to throw it away. So make sure you don't over tighten it and unscrew it as infrequently as you can.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I think I need to refine my technique, it was a minor bloodbath. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 698
    I think I need to refine my technique, it was a minor bloodbath. 
    No :(
    I watched loads of YouTube stuff and scoured forums before my first DE shave and all went perfectly.
    The secret is a good lather, three to four passes, and let the weight of the razor do the work don't force or add pressure.
    I did the same when I got my first cut throat, was shitting myself but never lost a drop ;)
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Watch this. It's the same razor too

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• @Flink_Poyd ;

Check out Fret's video. I learnt how to use a DE razor watching Geo.

Technique wise, I learnt there's a sweet spot where the blade just starts to dig into my whiskers. The angle can vary so you may want to try holding your razor to your cheek ( for example ) then figuring out how far you lift the razor until it catches.

I do 3 passes when DE shaving. What I aim for is to reduce my stubble with each passing, rather than try and take it all off in one. To finish I get any awkward areas and tidy up the spots I've missed. At first it meant slowing right down but once you've figured out how to use a DE you'll be fine.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    BigMonka said:
    This arrived today. £27 inc p+p as you get 10% off the first order.

Be careful when screwing and unscrewing the head from the handle, I had one of those and after a year or two the thread completely crumbled so I had to throw it away. So make sure you don't over tighten it and unscrew it as infrequently as you can.
    Bullseye @BigMonka ;

Just over a year and a  half 

I shall be emailing Mr Jagger ASAP 

• Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    edited May 2018
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 12
    +1 proraso shaving cream
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    NIVEA Protect & Care Moisturising Shaving Gel, or NIVEA Originals Moisturising Shaving Gel. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    What a coincidence that this thread has come up. Night before last I had strange dream that had the Grand Tour trio in and me sampling expensive shaving lotions. Very odd.

Anyway, although I have a beard I like to keep the neck clean and tidy. I currently use a Bluebeard's Revenge DE razor and have used their shaving cream with pleasing results. That said, I can get by with a cheap shaving foam such as Gillette fairly well. All the multi-blade options are good but they're just far too expensive. After reading some of the above posts, I reckon I'll try Proraso next and experiment with different blades too.
    I had to use a multi blade Gillette yesterday, God it felt weird. They feel like they're pulling your face off while jizzing lubricant all over your face at the same time. 
     I'm now on the hunt for a new razor and it most definitely won't be an Edwin Jagger. 
     Has anyone.got a butterfly one like the Merkur Futur or the Q Shave clone like this?

QSHAVE Adjustable Double Edge Classic Safety Razor Matte Black Coating (1 Razor) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075XJDN8J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tYNcBbD3VBXZA

Parker Black & Silver Butterfly Open 96R Double Edge Safety Razor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068S1GMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XYNcBbP6NN29V

• DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    hootsmon said:

OK girls, so I gather we don't like soap on our pusses......so what do us modern young folk use for shavin' soap, what's hip?

You have all got the wrong end of the stick   -I think he's looking for a product explicitly for shaving pussies !
    In which case waxing keeps a bald badger smoother for longer.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    Speick Shaving Cream or King of Shaves Shaving Gel
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    King of Shaves gel, and boring Gillette G3, and Keihls Facial Fuel (SPF 15)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Gone for a Merkur 34C this time. Got an email back from Edwin Jagger and they might be sending either parts or a replacement 

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Gone for a Merkur 34C this time. Got an email back from Edwin Jagger and they might be sending either parts or a replacement 
    Hope you get somewhere with EJ, I was pretty disappointed when the thread on mine went as I thought it felt like the kind of kit that would last years.
    For a replacement I went with an own brand model from the shaving shack, haven’t had any problems so far. Lots of people recommend the Merkur though so I’m sure it’ll be good.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    edited June 2018
    Arco shaving soap and Astra blades. 100 blades and a stick of soap for a tenner. I need to get my technique up to scratch. Getting far too many ingrown hairs recently. 
    I started going down the cold water shaving route a few years ago that helps. Fresh blade and restricting to just one pass.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.