Oil finishing question

redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 749
edited September 2016 in Making & Modding
ok so this isn't guitar related, but I know the answer will be around here somewhere!!

Just got a nice oak table. It's an oil finish and supplier's recommendation is to treat with boiled linseed oil before use. Of course it arrives, and before I can get some oil, we start using it. Kids spill stuff, wife wipes with a damp cloth etc.  I'd expected the factory finish to have provided some water resistance but not much it seems, because we now have lots of light patches visible, which I presume is the grain having been raised where it's got wet. Sort of visible in the pic below - you need to be at an angle to properly see it. You can feel those areas are rougher though.

So I've got the oil now, and my plan was, before applying it, to rub the affected areas down gently with some fine sandpaper. I've tried this with a couple of patches with some 1200 grit, and the finish immediately feels smooth again, however the areas still look a bit lighter. Also in one case the area around the affected area became a little bit lighter - not sure if that was just sanded particles filling up the grain as it did darken a bit when rubbed with a bit of kitchen roll.  I guess the oil might sort all this but don't want to apply it then "seal in" any problems if that makes sense. So, I thought I'd ask the resident wood experts for some advice. Am I doing the right thing?

http://i.imgur.com/u4RE41e.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments