Mic recommendation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    hugbot said:
    An sm 57 is one of those things you just should have lying around somewhere. 
    Wis -   they aren't my first choice but I have a 58 and 57 in the cable bag and several times a year one or both is needed for something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    AKG D5 for me. Four in my mic box, it's my general go-to dynamic. Beats the pants of an SM58 in my opinion. Beta 57 is a brilliant all-rounder for voice and instrument micing. I never willingly reach for a bog-standard SM58, there's plenty better options about.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The beta series are absolutely fantastic if you like 3.5k.  =)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4201
    I use an SM57 in my isolation cab and it sounds great, more tones to play with ;)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    edited October 2016
    e609 destroys sm57 for live amp mic'ing, in my (and a few others' I know) opinion. A guy I know who's a live sound engineer says he only uses e906 but he's an anal bugger and I'm not sure they're hugely different to the 609, if you're being frugal.
  • As previously mentioned, the Sennheiser E609 is your best bet for guitar micing. You don't even need a stand. The E606 is the precursor to this mic, is basically the same and can probably be had for cheaper on ebay. I have one, its cracking.

For vocals, SM58. Its affordable and reliable.

I'd wager you can pick up both of these mics second hand for £200 or less.

Also be aware - an SM57 and an SM58 are the same mic. The only difference is the grill - a 58 has the ball grill and integrated pop filter, the 57 has a flat grill and small body for easier mic placement.

You could get an SM58 to cover all the jobs you need here and it would be perfectly adequate. If you're on a budget, this would be my choice. 

Source: http://shureblog.co.uk/faq-whats-the-difference-between-the-sm58-and-the-sm57/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    After trying a load of the classics I still bought the TC Helicon MP75 as a vocal mic.

Suited my voice well. Very happy with it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    bbill335 said:
    e609 destroys sm57 for live amp mic'ing, in my (and a few others' I know) opinion. A guy I know who's a live sound engineer says he only uses e906 but he's an anal bugger and I'm not sure they're hugely different to the 609, if you're being frugal.

Maybe he's using them upside down.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK it's my birthday soon so I'm going to get one :) 
    Time to go over this thread and make a decision.