Can I use a push-pull on my guitar for a blower switch?

I never really thought I'd want a blower switch but I can actually see that it would be useful for me. I currently have a push/pull on my guitar that isn't wired up for the push/pull - can that be used as a blower switch? and if so, how would one wire it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    In theory yes but you might find it better to use a push/push.

Have a look here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-adding-a-blower-switch
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    octatonic said:
    In theory yes but you might find it better to use a push/push.

Have a look here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-adding-a-blower-switch
    Fantastic! many thanks that looks like exactly what I need and it's explained very well so even a dunce like me can understand. 

I much prefer push/push, but the other pot is in the guitar and I like the feel of it, so I'll probably stick with it for now, at least for a try out.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    My Les Paul has a push-pull as a blower switch, factory fitted. I think I'd agree with @octatonic that a push-push might be better - easier to make a quick change.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Only caveat- push/push's don't seem to last as long, but given your ace soldering skills you won't have an issue replacing it every 5 years or so. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Yes, you can use it as a blower switch - but you may want to reverse the usual operation, so that down is blower and up is normal… you generally want to go *to* the blower setting in a hurry, rather than *from* it, if that makes sense.

Also, don't use that green 'u' link in the diagram - replace it with an 'x' with two separate wires on the lower four terminals. The 'u' runs the signal through both switch poles in series so a bad contact in *either* will cut the sound out. If you use the 'x' the poles are in parallel so it would take a bad contact in *both* at the same time to stop it working.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Also, don't use that green 'u' link in the diagram - replace it with an 'x' with two separate wires on the lower four terminals. 
    I don't follow that? there are wires already using those terminals?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    axisus said:
    ICBM said:
    Also, don't use that green 'u' link in the diagram - replace it with an 'x' with two separate wires on the lower four terminals. 
    I don't follow that? there are wires already using those terminals?
    Remove the green wire.

Connect the right middle terminal (which already has the red wire to the jack) to the lower left terminal, and the left middle terminal (which already has the blue wire from the pickup) to the lower right terminal.

I know I always go on about this, but connecting it the way shown is just bad practice and can lead to getting no sound exactly when that's least useful :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yay, it works! Very useful indeed although I agree overall that a push push pot would be better. As I don't always use a plec the push pull is ok some of the time, but it's tricky to pull up when holding a pick.