Line 6 Relay G10 'punt' - now a 'keeper'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited September 2016
    After the Keeley disappointment, this was the good side of NGD! At gig volume in a large room today, I didn't really notice any difference from a cable (Both straight into amp). Was impressed by the range too, and it's a tidy bit of kit. Bought for rehearsal room/house, but can see me gigging it easily!
    Funny you should say that.  As I have the house to myself today, I've been winding up my amps and comparing the G10 to various cables I have.  At higher volumes, there does seem to be much less difference between cable and G10.  But I've also realised that although I'm used to cable tone, it might be that the cables are making the tone slightly muddier/bassier and it could be that the G10 is actually giving me a purer signal, if you know what I mean.  I'm certainly liking the G10 more than I did, and will take it to band practice on Thursday which I think will be a fairer comparison.  

In terms of design & concept, I think its brilliant - and I really want to like it tonally.  But i think it would have been better if the built in cable impedance compensator within its firmware could have been made adjustable, like the other Relay units - in this regard I think Line 6 made it 'too simple' and a simple 3 position switch would have been ideal.  Anyway, I'll report back after Thursday. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I used it in a venue with 500 ppl in it last week - none of them noticed the bottom end lacking Neither did I but I did have a monstrous Fender bassman head and cab next to me at the time...The tone from digital wireless is not really changed in any way that I have noticed but I am not an audiophile so wouldn't pick up on that.
    Good to hear you are giving it a go - in a band mix I doubt you'd notice those subtle differences but let's see how Thursday goes :)
    edited September 2016
    I read that the 'cable tone technology' in the G10 is based on a 10ft lead - my cables, Pirahna monoflex) are 6m (circa 19ft) so close to double that, which means I'm likely to lose a little more top end than with a 10ft cable.  So it's possible this might account for some of what I'm hearing.  This technology is only through the 1/4" jack though, not the MXR out. So the tone might be even brighter through an MXR cable to the PA/Desk.  I'd like to have seen a 3-way adjustment on the G10 eg to simulate 10, 20, 30 ft cable runs.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I suppose that's what you pay more money for with a pro system though. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    edited September 2016
    Just use a 10ft Vox curly lead between your base unit and your amp. 

I can see why Line6 erred on the side of caution when only adding a touch of cable simulation on a fixed unit. 
    You can always add more after the unit, but you can't add more sparkle. 
    p90fool said:
    Just use a 10ft Vox curly lead between your base unit and your amp. 

I can see why Line6 erred on the side of caution when only adding a touch of cable simulation on a fixed unit. 
    You can always add more after the unit, but you can't add more sparkle. 
    In fact a curly Vox lead is exactly what I use.  However, I've tried both the curly and 6m cable between amp and receiver - makes no difference to the tone. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    Probably because it's buffered by the unit. 
    edited September 2016
    OK guys, update following band practice.  At home I'd only used it with an amp, so had a brief 'senior' moment just thinking about how to connect it with my Vox Tonelab SE, but I soon sorted it.  Had a worrying moment where I only heard hiss and virtually no sound - I thought for a moment there was a problem with MFX units in the chain....until I realised I hadn't pushed the jack fully into the receiver base unit (it's quite a reassuringly tight fit)...DOH!  

I'm delighted to report back that the Line 6 G10 Relay performed admirably - no discernible tonal difference at band practice volumes, and it felt just the same to play as with a cable - I'd read at least one comment that the G10 sounded a little 'digital' but I can confirm that this is most definitely not the case - neither I nor the guys in the band could tell any difference.  It gave me complete freedom to move around with, but with regards to range before drop outs, as this was only a rehearsal room (albeit a generous size one), I can't yet comment meaningfully here.  But I've decided it's plenty good enough to be a keeper, at least for now (sorry 'bout that Welshboyo! lol).