Line 6 Relay G10 'punt' - now a 'keeper'

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
edited September 2016 in Guitar
I like the idea of the G10 Relay's simplicity, easy set-up, no leads, and no batteries - but I'm unsure if the transmitter unit sticking out will be a problem with any of my guitars.  The G10 has had mixed reviews regarding tonal quality - some say its brilliant, sounds the same as a cable, and its effective range is far better than the 50ft advertised.  Others have said it drops out after 20-30ft, and tonal quality suffers.  

I saw a brand new unopened G10 Relay going on Ebay yesterday (from Simmonds Music in Grantham) for £128 or best offer - so I offered £90 inc postage, and it was accepted.  Should get it Wednesday, and I've got 14 days to return it if I don't like it (but I pay return postage, which is fair enough) - or I could just always sell it on.

Anyway, for £90 with a 14-day return option I thought it was well worth a 'punt'.  I'll let you guys know how I get on. 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Just paid, and being dispatched today - very efficient!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dibs if you don't like it.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited September 2016
    I love mine. Use it in the house, at rehearsal and at gigs - really decent long charge and just a doddle to switch between guitars quickly and quietly (silent in fact!) Some people don't like the USB style charger for the base unit but it's not causing me any headaches.
    Absolute bargain.

• Buggar... bought a brand new one on eBay yesterday at full price, must've been just after yours had gone...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    I love mine, it sounds very good. 
    Perversely, I haven't tried it on a big stage so can't comment on the range, I bought it to get cables out from under my feet in tiny pubs. 
    Vaiai said:
    ... Some people don't like the USB style charger for the base unit but it's not causing me any headaches.
    Absolute bargain.

What do you mean by USB? - I thought the base charger simply plugs into the mains via a normal 3-pin 13 amp plug? 
  • Voxman said:
    Vaiai said:
    ... Some people don't like the USB style charger for the base unit but it's not causing me any headaches.
    Absolute bargain.

What do you mean by USB? - I thought the base charger simply plugs into the mains via a normal 3-pin 13 amp plug? 
    The charger plugs into the unit via a mini USB. If you are running it off it's own charger neither here nor there but it means you can't run it off a pedalboard supply without an adaptor ( if you can find or make one). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Voxman said:
    Vaiai said:
    Absolute bargain.

Yep it does but the connection at the base unit is micro-USB (like most mobiles) rather than a 9v etc (i.e you can't power it from your pedalboard power block)
    Vaiai - gotcha, many thanks for clarifying.  No problem for me as I'm not looking to power it from a pedalboard, just the mains.  However, for those that do wish to do so is there not an adapter available?
  • My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Yup, BAT - exactly the adapter I had in mind. 
    Damn that was fast - ordered and paid for yesterday at 10:26 am, dispatched 11:19 am yesterday and received 12:50pm today - within circa 25 hrs, all brand new as promised (surprisingly big box relative to content size).  Now that's efficient!  Just put on charge and once ready will give it a go at home later and I'll take to band practice on Thursday to see how it performs. 
    Plugged it into the guitars to see if the transmitter activates? (the green light should come on even if base unit is off).
    edited September 2016
    Charged, and works perfectly - brilliant, simple concept.  However, it does take away from the bottom end and to my ears perhaps very slightly on volume too. Not massively, but I notice the difference as compared to a good quality lead.  The G10 will probably suit a lot of folk, and I suspect that I'm probably just being a bit 'picky' - I think there are also players who would prefer a sightly brighter tone.  However, although I'll reserve final judgement until band practice on Thursday, I don't think it's going to suit me &  I'll likely be returning it for a refund or possibly maybe selling it on - for what I paid I can probably even make a modest profit or at least cover the postage costs.  

Such a shame, as I love its simplicity and the transmitter is actually smaller and more compact than I thought. 
  • as I said dibs...
    welshboyo said:
    as I said dibs...
    Will definitely keep you in mind - presumably (from your handle) you're in Wales?  
  • Voxman said:
    welshboyo said:
    as I said dibs...
    Will definitely keep you in mind - presumably (from your handle) you're in Wales?  
    Yes, and we are still part of the UK
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After the Keeley disappointment, this was the good side of NGD! At gig volume in a large room today, I didn't really notice any difference from a cable (Both straight into amp). Was impressed by the range too, and it's a tidy bit of kit. Bought for rehearsal room/house, but can see me gigging it easily!
  • I've gigged mine and really like it. Doesn't mean its for everyone though