Pickup recommendations for Gibson J45?

What's Hot

Recently bought a new J45 Vintage and want to fit a decent pickup to it. What sounds good?

Ideally, I'd want a pickup that involves the minimum of hacking up the guitar.... but the sound quality / response is the main thing... so don't mind drilling etc if needs be.

As it's the Vintage model, there's no hole at the bottom of the guitar... there's just a wood screw holding the plastic strap button... so I'm going to have to get a hole drilled for a jack plug socket.  Any opinions on the mini jack sockets like this one... http://www.tapastring.com/vintagejack.htm ; using something like that would mean a smaller hole is required.

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    I like the K&K Pure Mini.

There is a big thread on acoustic pickups in the acoustic section.  It would be worth reading.  You might get a better response if you move this thread there as well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    K&K for sure - the least invasive and one of the better-sounding. It can be a bit bassy, but nothing that EQ won't fix.

If you're going to have to drill the guitar for an endpin anyway I would use a standard 1/2" Switchcraft endpin barrel jack whether you get the K&K or any other pickup. I would use the Vintage Jack only if the guitar already has a normal taper-fit endpin.

If you use the Switchcraft, connect all the unused terminals (ring, or ring and second ground contact if present - depends on the spec) to ground as well - that improves reliability. The K&K doesn't come wired like that but it's easy to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    tFB Trader
    Another vote for K&K here
  • LR Baggs M1A, scoop a little bit of the mids, best acoustic sound I've had. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5321
    another K&K vote here...simple and good
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4356
    K&K pure mini here too.

The Vintage Jack is a nice enough idea but you're tied to either a special lead or an adapter and if you leave either of them at home, you're shagged. Drilling the endpin really doesn't affect value on a modern guitar so I wouldn't worry about it.