SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wienbrock ME-1 - Premium Quality Valve Amp (1 watt) SOLD

What's Hot
CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4305
edited January 2014 in Amps £
Genuinely gutted to see this one go, it is absolutely sensational. Just had a ridiculous GAS moment though, so things are going to have to move on to offset the damage..... :(

Absolutely pristine condition, not a mark anywhere. Possibly the best home practice amp I have tried, but still gets loud when required. Very easy to get this to break up naturally. At which point it sounds beautiful. Pedals do not compare to this tone.

I also recently added a vintage 6SN7WGTA SYLVANIA Valve, which are as good as it gets. And you can get the valves singing on amps like this, so it makes a difference.
- US NAVY ISSUE
- NOS
- TESTED NEW AND UNUSED
- BLACK PLATE 1950'S TUBES, ONE OF THE VERY BEST 6SN7 TUBES AVAILABLE MADE IN USA

These were the best part of £1k new, selling for £365 delivered.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4305
    Here is some blurb (name was changed to Hobo, but exactly the same amp). Quite clear that no corner were cut when building these amps. Will last forever.

The Wienbrock HOBO is an original all valve amplification device through and through - and is not meant to emulate anything else. A product of the continued cooperation between Wienbrockamps and it's originator, Guido Landry, the HOBO is a fully functioning 1W guitar amp capable of producing approx 118dB when driven and is built with the same high quality components and materials as our other amps.

When you plug into the HOBO - the guitar signal is sent straight to the first valve via the shortest route possible and is then modified by our unique 'LAW' TONE filter; a single rotary control with scooped mids in the centre that rise on either the bass or treble side. Additional bass CUT and treble SHIFT switches allow you to further 'reshape' the TONE control's response to your instrument signal. The VOLUME control simply governs how much you drive the output stage where the BOOST switch offers an extra level of gain; further enhancing midrange, treble and compression. The output stage consists of a 12AX7/ECC83 phase splitter or 'inverter' and a 6SN7 octal based dual triode output valve.

Finding a 'sweet spot' is an incredibly intuitive process - it's simply a case of deciding how much you need to drive the output stage with the tone shape you've chosen to get the sound you want - to derive just over 1W of clean, bell-like valve tone with maximum touch sensitivity right into smooth, natural power stage saturation... If you want the sound of a monster stack - put the drive pedal of your choice in front of it and we guarantee you will get overdriven sounds you will not get from any other amplifier. If you want to make a real monster HOBO stack - connect the XLR out to a power amp and loudspeakers...

Clean, reliable power - is supplied by custom designed BLS transformers and F&T electrolytics; ensuring maximum signal to noise at all times. We believe this is the most innovative low power practice/recording amp/pre-amp available today. The standard HOBO comes with 4 and 8 ohm speaker outlets and an independent unbalanced XLR line output that is derived from the output transformer - a speaker mute function is an optional extra - see your dealer for details.

Grab a bargain!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now that's a very good price. Rob makes a fine amp!
    @Van_Hayden. The other parcel is on it's way to you dude.

I have your address here if you want this as well?  

;)
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    hi bud.
    forgive me if im missing it in the blurb but is that beautiful amp a 10 or 12 inch speaker?
    thanx
    gu
    It's a 12inch speaker dude. In one of the neatest cabinets I have ever seen for a 112. Just over 17 inches wide. 

I will also throw in the issue of Guitarist magazine where this was reviewed (very favorably I might add).

Quote from review: 'A pro-grade practice/recording amp, that belies its one-watt rating. It has a highly likable all-round classic valve amp tone.'

You just cannot get a better amp for this sort of money. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    This amp used to be mine and I can vouch for how utterly brilliant it is.

It is quality through and through.  The point-to-point wiring is absolutely immaculate; all the components are high standard, and the overall craftsmanship is superb.

The one watt of power is unreal.  Combined with the minimalist amount of controls and switches, a remarkable amount of sounds and dynamics can be achieved.

It is arguably one of the best sounding amps I've ever played through, and it is genuine 'boutique-ness' at at fraction of boutique prices.

You really won't get a better amp for the money.  It is sheer class.
  • Cant find any videos online for this. Is it a totally clean amp or does it have some Break up or gain?

Thanks
  • CloudNine;129716" said:
    @Van_Hayden. The other parcel is on it's way to you dude.

I have your address here if you want this as well?  

;)
    Hah - nice try! As well as Bulldog pickups I run the electronics side at the Matamp factory, so I'm covered when it comes to amps!

Ha ha, yeahI knew you were in the business man, but still got to have a a try!  ;)

@Fortheloveofguitar  Oh yes, plenty of break up once you wind it up. No metal tones here, but classic rock it can do very very nicely. The 'Cut' and 'Shift' features are excellent for using if you switch between HB and single coil guitars. 

The endorsement from Van_Hayden above about the quality of these amps says it all. He knows what he is talking about.

• TeeBeeTeeBee Frets: 0
    I now have a Hobo as well as my other Wienbrock and I think it does v good valve overdrive, unusual but that's a good point to me (especially when Boost switch is flicked as I think this turns on second pre-amp valve/phase shifter?).  Humbucker-equipped guitars will bring this to the fore.  I do feel that it really excels at clean sounds though and I have been told by my amp expert that it's best to run it at 80% volume so as not to wear out the 6SN7 Power valve 6SN7.

I tested it a long time ago but things are better now as I have the benefit of Van_Hayden pickups installed on my Strat :)

I also agree with the above - it is extremely well made.  Soldering, turret board and those BLS transformers - for the above money it's a bargain.  Anyone who buys it will begin to hear their guitar as it should be heard.
    Glad you are enjoying yours mate. They are insanely good, I am genuinely having major doubts about parting with it.  :(

By the way. I would completely ignore the advice about running it at 80%. You can get some nice 6SN7's for very reasonable prices, even the very best vintage ones form the 50's. 

Just play the amp at whatever volume you want (or are allowed). These amps are designed to be played at high volume and will last a lifetime, valves are not and will need to be replaced occasionally.
  • I have one of these, and a Wienbrock Gaucho. When people finally click on, Robs amps will go for serious money!
  • I went down to the factory not long after they'd opened, and played this amp (although not the specific amp for sale here) and liked it very much, as I did the larger ME-3 Pro. I was given a really warm welcome by Rob Weinbrock who is both the owner and fellow enthusiast, he's a really likeable bloke, and from what I saw bends over backwards for his customers. Whoever gets this amp at this price is a lucky bugger indeed. 

Sorry for the noise in your sale thread kinda bump thing CloudNine. 
    :-B

@ourmaninthenorth ; Yes, have heard the same about Rob Weinbrock. Seem very passionate about his amps. And thanks for the bump!

Still here anyway folks. Someone is going to love this amp. Pristine condition, with certificates, vintage glass. And even the copy of Guitarist it was reviwed in. :D

• I met Rob a while back. A genuinely nice guy that knows his shit. Really wish I had the cash! It's a bargain price!
  • It is a great price. Ive got one of these, and I recently started a multi page arguement on TGP about low wattage amps. This holds its own volume wise against my Korg AC15 tbx. Quite crazy really considering its supposed to be '1w'. Theres magic in that 6SN7.
    edited January 2014
    Agreed guys, I thought it was a great price for the quality of this amp, surprised it was here this long. Not like you can come by them that easily 2nd hand if you decide you want one either..

One of the hardest decisions I have made between 2 bits of gear, was this and my Viccy 5112. Still not 100% sure I have made the right decision...

But too late now, it is SOLD pending payment. 
    Whoever has bought this will be EXTREMELY happy!
  • I didn't buy it but I'll be fortunate enough to have a go on it ;)
    I didn't buy it but I'll be fortunate enough to have a go on it ;)
    In which case you'll be EXTREMELY jealous! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom