Gibson ES335

What's Hot
Next year is my fiftieth and my better half has promised to get me a 335 to celebrate : > So what is the best ES335 on the market at the moment.
Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Assuming you mean new - Then any of the Historic based Custom Shop models are well worth looking at - be it a 59 dot or a 63 block - try both as the neck profile is significantly different and this is certainly a case of which suits you - Gibson keep adjusting the models within the vintage replica profile, so you'll probably find a nice used example be it a 1960 or 61 replica - They generally all have their own key attributes

Don't know what your budget might be there are plenty of nice used examples out there - I'd still prefer a more recent Dot Reissue to many 70's original models with a trapeze tailpiece - I say more recent but anything in the last 20/30 years on the Dot Reissues are worth looking at

Collings i35LC is well worth looking at - depends if you want the G brand logo on the headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitars4you The budget is enough to buy a new standard, but that also puts me in the ball park for a Larry Carlton sig or a higher end model second hand.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    The Carlton sig has a slightly narrower nut than the standard 60's block reissues, worth knowing tbh. 
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you The budget is enough to buy a new standard, but that also puts me in the ball park for a Larry Carlton sig or a higher end model second hand.
    The Larry Carlton is one of the best signature based 335's - but as 'sweepy' states a slightly narrower top nut/fingerboard width - Suits Larry but might not be the one for you regarding comfort/feel - I gather £2k or 2.5K might be your budget, so a nice used C/Shop is well worth it, or save a bit and look at a gloss finished 335 Dot that might be 5-20 years old or so

Personally I'd stay away from the satin finished models and shall we say the more 'budget' based 335 models
  • There are often a couple of 63 Historic reissues kicking around, and they are fine guitars. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7699

Personally I'd stay away from the satin finished models and shall we say the more 'budget' based 335 models
    Are the satin models generally lower spec in other ways or is it just the finish that's the difference? 
    Red ones are better. 
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:

Are the satin models generally lower spec in other ways or is it just the finish that's the difference? 
    Can't say they are all bad, or lower spec,as I dare say the odd one will stand out above the rest performance wise, but as the goal of a satin model is to offer a lower priced classic model there are often other cut backs regarding grades of wood
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    My Gibson 335 is a satin one.

TBH, it looks like a 335, it feels like a 335 and it sounds like a 335. The hardware is good quality, the pickups are great and the case is lovely. It holds its own against Jack's @meltedbuzzbox 345 - yes they sound a bit different, yes they look different but mine isn't 'inferior'.

Its just got satin paint.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I have a satin 335 too. One in trans-black (2011, I think). I've since polished it a bit.

It is gorgeous, but I didn't have much experience of different 335s when I bought it. I loved it and I could afford it... that was about it (oh yeah, and the wife was away on holiday!). I think I lucked out, though, feel-wise and sound-wise, having played others since.

It seems, if you get a nice one, the main difference is the satin finish and no binding on the neck. I have played a more recent faded cherry one, though, that was nowhere near (for me) the guitar mine is. Felt distinctly "cheaper". The finish on mine seems a fair bit thicker, always felt as "warm" as a full finish does, and has polished up nicely (in fact the neck did it from me just playing, so I decided to do the whole thing). The one I played the other day felt dry/cold.

Personally, if budget was over £2K, I would be passing the satin finishes by.

One last thing - I definitely think you need to try the guitar you're going to get, if possible. In my hands, semis seem even more variable than solid-bodied guitars. I've tried two apparently the same, one seemed too bright for my tastes, one seemed too mellow. When you get one you like, though... WOW :)
    AndyR said:
    I have a satin 335 too. One in trans-black (2011, I think). I've since polished it a bit.

It is gorgeous, but I didn't have much experience of different 335s when I bought it. I loved it and I could afford it... that was about it (oh yeah, and the wife was away on holiday!). I think I lucked out, though, feel-wise and sound-wise, having played others since.

It seems, if you get a nice one, the main difference is the satin finish and no binding on the neck. I have played a more recent faded cherry one, though, that was nowhere near (for me) the guitar mine is. Felt distinctly "cheaper". The finish on mine seems a fair bit thicker, always felt as "warm" as a full finish does, and has polished up nicely (in fact the neck did it from me just playing, so I decided to do the whole thing). The one I played the other day felt dry/cold.

One last thing - I definitely think you need to try the guitar you're going to get, if possible. In my hands, semis seem even more variable than solid-bodied guitars. I've tried two apparently the same, one seemed too bright for my tastes, one seemed too mellow. When you get one you like, though... WOW :)
    My satin 335 has binding - one thing I'm not fussed about, as it feels a little square shouldered for my tastes... one day I may get that looked at.

But I definitely agree with your last paragraph...

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    impmann said:
    AndyR said:

My satin 335 has binding - one thing I'm not fussed about, as it feels a little square shouldered for my tastes... one day I may get that looked at.

But I definitely agree with your last paragraph...
    Yep, the last paragraph is the important bit...

I've only recently got into Gibson's binding with the nibs etc - and now I experience doubts about my beloved 335 with no binding, I didn't mind either way before... How fickle we guitarists are!
  • impmann said:

TBH, it looks like a 335, it feels like a 335 and it sounds like a 335. The hardware is good quality, the pickups are great and the case is lovely. It holds its own against Jack's @meltedbuzzbox 345 - yes they sound a bit different, yes they look different but mine isn't 'inferior'.

it's not inferior at all. 

but (eeeek) I do think mine feels more polished as a product. The fretboard edges are nicely rolled, the nibbing is nicer, it feels like more time was spent on it overall.

that can all be addressed though. 

The one thing that did strike me was that there was a gulf in playability between the custom stuff and the standards in GuitarGuitar. There was something missing on standard stuff but perhaps thats something that is more apparent on all the newer models to justify the difference in the product ranges????

As always though there is a lot to be said for just playing a guitar to see if it is a good guitar. There is no point getting caught up in finishes and vintage correct spec

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    By the way, I'm not saying all satin finished 335 are 'inferior' as there are some good examples - but that applies to all Gibson Guitars anyway be it gloss or satin, but they don't just save on the satin finish to acquire a more 'affordable' version - So I fully appreciate that what I said will imply negative vibes to some, but the other option is to say nothing or lie - I played a satin finished LP Standard a couple of weeks ago, the version from around 2004/5 (can't recall the date) at it was a corker and played far better than many gloss LP Stds but around the same time I saw one that was awful

of course as stated above in earlier comments and ultimately this is the key point regardless of our views

'One last thing - I definitely think you need to try the guitar you're going to get, if possible. In my hands, semis seem even more variable than solid-bodied guitars. I've tried two apparently the same, one seemed too bright for my tastes, one seemed too mellow.
    impmann said:

but (eeeek) I do think mine feels more polished as a product. The fretboard edges are nicely rolled, the nibbing is nicer, it feels like more time was spent on it overall.

The one thing that did strike me was that there was a gulf in playability between the custom stuff and the standards in GuitarGuitar. There was something missing on standard stuff but perhaps thats something that is more apparent on all the newer models to justify the difference in the product ranges????

As always though there is a lot to be said for just playing a guitar to see if it is a good guitar. There is no point getting caught up in finishes and vintage correct spec

Totally agree with that - the 345 feels 'nicer' but I'm fairly sure if I spend a bit of time on the 335, I'll get it into the ballpark. But it was twice the price, so I'd expect that!!

tFB Trader
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:

Totally agree with that - the 345 feels 'nicer' but I'm fairly sure if I spend a bit of time on the 335, I'll get it into the ballpark. But it was twice the price, so I'd expect that!!
    it was an eye watering price and I am not sure I will ever spend that again to be honest.

but on the flip side I dont think I will ever want from another 3X5 model of Gibson
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It was a '63 block that picked me, wasn't in the colour I wanted either but it just felt right.
    The Collings are truly superb guitars as well.
  • I bought a guitar that pretty much ticks all of my dislikes

but it just played so well and sounded great and those are the 2 most important things
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    Heritage H535
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29087
    I think it's worth clarifying what you mean by a 335.

The answer may be different if you mean  a Gibson 33t, or of you mean a 335 style guitar...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."