Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Camera Phones at gigs. RANT.

What's Hot

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Apologies, I was attempting humour. I appreciate the difference :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nikko said:
    It's not you who should be apologising ;)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I know. I had my toes crossed when I typed it.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Nikko said:
    No problem but it is a fair point if I was talking about camera phones disrupting the lighting then there are loads of instances of lighting stuff from the crowd in other genres.  People still dance at dance gigs though!
  • For the people who think it hasn't made a difference to gigs -

Enter Sandman 1991, check out the crowd, song starts about 50 seconds.  Yes this is clearly an edited video but just look at the crowd in general

Enter Sandman 2016 - skip to 30 seconds, huge number of the crowd are stood still filming, again at 40 seconds etc - 

Yeah there are still people moving about, and yeah Metallica are getting on a bit now (though have plenty of young fans), but this was the first band that popped in to my head where I could think of a big enough track (that is still big).  There's no way I will agree with anyone who thinks phones are enhancing the atmosphere of the crowd, I don't even agree it is a neutral effect.  I think it makes gigs worse.

I'm not talking about snapping the odd photo, I'm talking about mass filming.
    14 year old me is up by the sound tent (I can't see me either) in 91.

39 year old me accepts that after he saw AC/DC later that day he got bored of Metallica and stopped listening to them.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dopesick said:
    Thankfully this shit hardly occurs at smaller, cosier gigs.
    You'd be surprised.

I ended up having a row with a charming fella at the Armored Saint gig at The Underworld a few months ago.

He was videoing the whole show through a proper camcorder - none of your iPhone/Galaxy stuff for this bloke.
    Anyway, he was stood directly in front of me and I couldn't see the stage because it was obscured by his LCD screen.
    I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to put his camera away or move, and his response to me was "why don't you move"...
    This obviously riled me a bit and a "discussion" took place surrounding the rights and wrongs of videoing gigs and getting in people's way - he then informed me that this was his first time back at The Underworld after he was released from prison for carving up a fellow gig-goer with a Stanley Knife.

Charmingly charming.   He then moved away, and then behind me and continued to video the show.  
    As you can imagine, this kind of spoiled the rest of the gig for me and I did spend the rest of the night partially wondering whether I was going to be scarred for life....

You can actually see hi handywork here:  

The camcorder that appears in shot is his - the bald heed (centre bottom) is mine.  This was after he moved behind me - and ironically obscured another camera user!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    @RobDavies Wait so was that guy actually right in the pit with his camcorder before this? Or at least just outside of it?

I was gonna say at The Underworld they have another little section right next to the stage where people with their cameras can film away. What a prune.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12708
    "Been inside for carving someone up at a gig with a Stanley knife? Wow, thats a coincidence, I just got out after shoving a camcorder up someone's arse at a gig..."
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I guess being tall i see over the phones. Just bothers me when they have a flash. Tbh I find it hard to enjoy concerts because other people are so annoying anyway
    My V key is broken
  • Pisses me off too. I don't pay to see the gig through your phone screen, I paid to see it direct.
    Here's some footage (ironically probably taken on a camera phone) of the Gilmour gig- I was stunned by the number of screens!

• GassageGassage Frets: 31098

I am aware of his methods.

Elementary.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmann said:
    Kate Bush banned phones from her shows - and people took that to heart.

I'd like to see that upheld by more people, tbh. I don't take pictures at gigs because 1) the pics are usually shit, 2) they don't help "remember" the night and 3) I don't want to be *that arsehole* that spoils someone else's moment because my camera gets in their way.

TBH, I think Guy Pratt hit the nail on the head in @Gassage story above - it just ruins other people's moment, including the band.
    Yeah but that's because she looks like your fat aunty now rather than the lithe vixen she was

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited September 2016
    I don't even take my phone to gigs anymore.

Pictures always turn out rubbish anyway, and id rather just enjoy the show

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited September 2016
    For the people who think it hasn't made a difference to gigs -

Enter Sandman 1991, check out the crowd, song starts about 50 seconds.  Yes this is clearly an edited video but just look at the crowd in general

Enter Sandman 2016 - skip to 30 seconds, huge number of the crowd are stood still filming, again at 40 seconds etc - 

Yeah there are still people moving about, and yeah Metallica are getting on a bit now (though have plenty of young fans), but this was the first band that popped in to my head where I could think of a big enough track (that is still big).  There's no way I will agree with anyone who thinks phones are enhancing the atmosphere of the crowd, I don't even agree it is a neutral effect.  I think it makes gigs worse.

I'm not talking about snapping the odd photo, I'm talking about mass filming.
    Was that just before everyone started throwing bottles of piss into the air?

EDIT....after actually clicking the link.....that's not Donnington '91......ooopsie

• impmann said:
    Kate Bush banned phones from her shows - and people took that to heart.

I'd like to see that upheld by more people, tbh. I don't take pictures at gigs because 1) the pics are usually shit, 2) they don't help "remember" the night and 3) I don't want to be *that arsehole* that spoils someone else's moment because my camera gets in their way.

TBH, I think Guy Pratt hit the nail on the head in @Gassage story above - it just ruins other people's moment, including the band.
    Yeah but that's because she looks like your fat aunty now rather than the lithe vixen she was
    I hear she thinks you're still hot <3
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11724
    tFB Trader
    What boils my piss is people still holding up their phones and obscuring my view or adding to light pollution but they are actually on Facebook or twitter having uploaded a photo and they are checking for likes and comments...utter CUNTS.

Oh and people who open a phone case that hangs down and takes up twice the space  so no way can you see.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • But don't you all want to hear your favourite tracks rendered as a horrible, clipped, mushy sound along with an out of focus video from a tiny lens 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited September 2016
    One shot to show you were there great! Wankers who continually pull out there phone to shoot out of focus pics and crap videos can just fuck off. They should be taken outside the venue by security lined up and tazered until unconscious and all images deleted from their devices.

I watch a live band weekly at numerous venues around London and this is a disease that needs to be eradicated. If I see you out tonight with your shitty phone you will be receiving my pint on your head. 

Enjoy the gig in real time and create a memory in real life not from behind a 3 inch screen.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes @FelineGuitars just utter cunts ! We need to stamp them out !
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2016
    Water pistols on stage.

(and maybe a Telecaster for that gig !)

:)