Gibson tuning peg

Hi all, is it possible to remove just the plastic end of one of these tuning pegs?  Not sure how they are fixed on (I would guess glued).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16927
    Sometimes they break off and you can fit new ones by heating up the shaft and pushing a new one on
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    Yes, as Wez said - if you heat the shaft with a soldering iron you can pull the key off and replace it with another one the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks everyone.  Is it possible to buy the plastic 'key' part separately?  I can't find a source for one.  The tuner I am after is a Gibson Deluxe one but with 'button' keys as per below.  IfI could buy the button keys separately that would be great ;-)

I've never seen the buttons available separately, but you can find a set of cheap acoustic guitar heads with the right keys you can take them off and transfer them. The problem is that there are so many very slightly different shapes and colours that you will almost certainly have to do all six if you want them to match, which is time-consuming and a pain…

There are also some - mostly older - keys which look similar but are made from thermosetting resin rather than thermoplastic and will not soften no matter how much heat you put in, so make sure you get the right type!

I have a vast number of second hand machineheads which I keep for this purpose so I can usually find a fairly good match - if you can't get anything I'll see if I can borrow one of those tuners to match a single key to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    AllParts have them
    http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/plastic-buttons-for-gluing-or-melting-onto-vintage-style-keys-oval

Edit: but currently have no stock. They will order them for you though
  • That's great!  Thanks for your help everyone.  Appreciate the offer ICBM, that's very kind.  I will have a dig about ;-)
    AllParts have them
    http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/plastic-buttons-for-gluing-or-melting-onto-vintage-style-keys-oval

Edit: but currently have no stock. They will order them for you though
    Aha! I'd never seen those before. Although rather typical that they're out of stock…

They do look pretty similar to the Gibson ones too.