P90s vs Humbucker sized P90s

What's Hot
How close do the HB versions get tone wise  to a 'proper' P90?

It's fundamentally shorter and shallower than the original P90, so is it really the same?

I have GAS for a 2 P90 loaded LP with a 50ies neck and I'm struggling to find one without going Historic, so the HB 90s could save the day if they are the real deal

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34302
    Pretty close.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5517
    i have a set of lollar hb p90's here which i dont need anymore pm if thats any use....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited September 2016
    SunDevil said:

It's fundamentally shorter and shallower than the original P90, so is it really the same?

I have GAS for a 2 P90 loaded LP with a 50ies neck and I'm struggling to find one without going Historic, so the HB 90s could save the day if they are the real deal

Baz
    Do an eBay search for a Gibson 50's tribute les Paul, there endeth your GAS! 

Edit: there doesn't seem to be any decent ones on the bay at the moment only a very shoddy customised one. Put up a wanted ad on here I bet someone's got a 2010-2013 model they can let go. I scored one on here a while ago without pickups but I just happened to have a set of Bareknuckle Supermassive P90's and I've got to say it's a killer guitar you won't regret getting one.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Cheers - Just got and I'm the process of returning a 'NOS' 2013 50s tribute that's a bit second hand, but the current crop 50s are all HB and all the P90s are the 60s neck, hence the question on the HB sized 90's
  • NickLNickL Frets: 160
    zepp76 said:
    SunDevil said:

Baz
    Depends on the year - the 2016 '50s Tribute has uncovered humbuckers. The current '60s Tribute has P90s, but that has the slimmer neck.
    NickL said:
    zepp76 said:
    SunDevil said:

Baz
    Depends on the year - the 2016 '50s Tribute has uncovered humbuckers. The current '60s Tribute has P90s, but that has the slimmer neck.
    That's why in my edit I stated 2010-2013  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Zepp76 - worth a shout
    SunDevil said:
    Thanks @Zepp76 - worth a shout
    That's a shame, what was wrong with the '13? Apart from the robot tuners!
  • Sold as new, but has a bloody great ding in the edge of the lower bout and a distrinct ridge where the fretboard meets the neck. Neck looks a little off too and I suspect that's not so easy to fix
    Sorry to hear that, I would still keep an eye out for an early one as they really are great guitars for the price.