Woodstain to a vintage tint to a Maple Strat neck?

Anyone know of a woodstain that will give a vintage amber tint, out of the bottle, to a maple strat neck that I can Tru Oil on top of, Im sick of sanding it off again cos the colour is wrong!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wudtone Amber. Works great!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    some of the oak ones work okay.  best results come from doing a dark stain, sanding it all off, then doing a yellowy oak stain 

here is an example

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Can i put a waterslide decal on Wudtone? then how to seal it?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yep, Wudtone will take any finish over it - oil, lacquer or wax.
    Interesting, thanks!

Sounds a long process though, I like Teu Oil and only give bare neck two coats, so in 2 days its done and ready to use......thats why a stain would ge a good solution...its quick, stain oil, oil.....done......

• Lol. One or two coats of amber and you're done? Finish with whatever you want or leave as is...it'll be reet!
    So how long for a couple of coats to dry? I know nothing about Wudtone!

• Last neck I did had Danish oil on it after 2 hours from applying the Wudtone. That was high summer tho so much warmer weather.
    Thanks for that @LooseMoose I think it's a goer

• I may have a bit of a bottle left if you want it and are local (wouldn't post it as it would doubtless spill) - if you happen to be near Malvern, drop me a PM and I'll check the shed! (It's free if it exists!)
    I'm on the Isle of Wight, but thanks for the offer!

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    I may have a bit of a bottle left if you want it and are local (wouldn't post it as it would doubtless spill) - if you happen to be near Malvern, drop me a PM and I'll check the shed! (It's free if it exists!)

Just wrap the bottle in cling film and it will be fine. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    ISTR wudtone neck has a little oil based varnished mixed in so should not really need oiling on top, so it's a complete finish don't see the point in try oil on top of Wudtone which is an oil based finish.

chevk their website but sure it used too say that was the difference with the neck finish.

As always WEvs solution look pretty good 
    Thanks for that Jez