Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

G&B video

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That 335 sounds great Chris, a new bigsby B6 + towner system?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    They're brilliant Chris - look really classy and to the point :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Has the damping/noisegate issue on the Crunch and Super Crunch channels been fixed for this amp?  It still afflicts the original ID range and BS support is far from excellent.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Damn, that Zaftig looks good!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited October 2016
    chrisv said:
    Trying a few different formats... 
    This works really well, with the voiceover describing the key features while you demonstrate the sounds in context. Much better than the 'here's the sound of the middle pickup, plink plink' often done by competitors.

As well as reviews, masterclass and interview videos would go down if possible, along the lines of this fantastic Martin Simpson vid for Guitarist mag

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 574
    Thanks for the very kind words all...

@sinbaadi the gate on the crunch channels seemed to behave quite naturally to me

@deadstring it's actually a B6CB and a Towner tension bar. The hinge plate on the B6CB is the perfect depth for a 335 and because the strap button sits on top of it, it's a lot less faff

@randallflagg if only!

@mellowsun artist stuff coming soon, too. As ever, watch this space! 

@dindude having done so many videos over the years with individual soundbites in isolation, I just hate doing it and generally find it really stilted and boring to listen to. I think the idea of dropping the backing track in and out is a more elegant solution, so I'm glad other people like it and it's not just me! 

@Neil thanks, and agreed! 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    chrisv said:
    I think the idea of dropping the backing track in and out is a more elegant solution, so I'm glad other people like it and it's not just me! 

Yep - I think it works brilliantly 

The old Guitarist demos back in the day were immaculately recorded but about the least useful out there, what you're doing here is the polar opposite - nice work. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Nice. No faff, no fuss, no "personality " banter or egos. 

I like it, mate. Exactly what I like to see.

Can I suggest something... one thing I find annoying from other videos is that there is rarely a point of reference for the sound you are hearing. By that I mean, the videos chop and change guitars/amps depending on what is lying around.

What would be good is to hear the guitar through a Fender amp - and a Marshall - and (if applicable) a modern high gain amp. And every time you produce a video you use the same set up. Likewise use a reference Strat and Les Paul (or widdle warrior machine if applicable) for demoing amps.

This way G&B can develop an archive and by using that this gives us punters a reference to what we are seeing/hearing.

It just takes the variables out of the equation. :-)

Keep up the good work, guys.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Lovely work, Chris.
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited October 2016
    @chrisv you used to do Guitarist right? 

Edit* and Rangers...?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    @professorben the footballing Chris Vinnicombe isn't me (as anyone who has ever seen me attempt to play will confirm) but yeah I had a variety of roles at Future. Prior to taking over the editorship of G&B in April 2015 I was 'content editor' on Guitarist, which was an amalgam of the old features editor and multimedia editor roles and involved (takes a deep breath) writing gear reviews, commissioning and writing artist features, managing the mag's social media channels, managing the mag's video output, demoing a big pile of gear on camera and filming and editing the odd video myself too...
    Thanks @dickieguitar ;-)

Thanks @impmann - yeah the plan is to establish some constants in terms of reference gear. I imagine that my 335 will be appearing a great deal, for starters...
    edited October 2016
    Another one...