Decal suggestions

What's Hot
Hello FB members,

I'm looking for a decal for my latest project, in a Fender style script but where I can customize the words.

Are there any suggestions that you can put forward?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Rothko and Frost will probably sort out what you want.  

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/custom-waterslide-decals-uk-for-guitars-bikes/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I don't like the word decal, it's sooooooo american. You can make your own transfers with sheets that you print onto with either laser printer or inkjet. You can also obtain Fender font for free. I've done my own 'Fendery' transfers and I'm more than happy with the results.
  • John P, thanks for the tip. Just placed my order!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    axisus said:
    I don't like the word decal, it's sooooooo american. You can make your own transfers with sheets that you print onto with either laser printer or inkjet. You can also obtain Fender font for free. I've done my own 'Fendery' transfers and I'm more than happy with the results.
    The problem with that is you can't do gold or silver (although there is a way to paint them from the back after they've been printed).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    axisus said:
    The problem with that is you can't do gold or silver (although there is a way to paint them from the back after they've been printed).
    You can use a gold pen, but you also need to 'fix it' to stop it smudging when you get it wet to put on. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    A couple of coats of spray varnish should seal the ink. It definitely work with printer ink
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    axisus said:

I have issues with the decal coming loose when doing this.

I have done a few black and colour decals at home, but they never match the quality of the ones I have had made for me

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Yes, they need a touch of glue
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    the Rothko & Frost decals are outstanding, thinnest I've seen and the metallics are lovely,  good choice! 
  • MototechMototech Frets: 104
    I've used Rothko & Frost decals, very happy with the result.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Roland said:
    Yes, they need a touch of glue
    what glue are you recommending?

obviously it needs to be something really thin and really clear to work well with a waterslide decal, and it needs to work well under paint whilst not containg solvents which might melt the decal.   And the metallic paint you use also needs to be thin, but give really good coverage if you don;t want a bumpy logo

I am okay with this method for a good DIY job, but it won't give the same result as a professionally printed logo and by the time you have purchased the right paper, paint and glue a professionally printed logo doesn't seem so expensive.

I have had loads from plankspanker which have been excellent, but rothko and frost are doing me  repro logo for something unusal at the moment.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader

I did the gold DIY thing once, printed in reverse. Infill with gold; thin lacquer coat to seal. Float off and stick to a fresh bit of decal paper, clearcoat that side. They stuck down fine, I made a load since you're printing an A4 anyway, and picked the best ones, flattest and best coverage to flip & recoat etc.
    Used a gold paint pen which goes on thin but tends to sort of well up where you stop & lift off the decal, could maybe draw that up with a small brush but I just did a batch to be able to choose the good ones.

The gold R&K do is bright gold vs the flatter sort of gold possible with paint. And it's quite a faff but Ok if it has to be that tone of gold.

Tried it with silver but it showed faintly through the black when flipped, so went R&K that time. It's also less faff, if you can make the graphics at least.

Looks flat/matt here but it is gold, just my shit photo skills

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/zen3.jpg