MIM Strat sustain block

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
I've  recently swapped out the sustain block on my MIM Std Strat for its Callaham equivalent. I'm guessing that the old block is of no use as it wouldn't count as an upgrade on any Fender, and I believe that Squiers have thinner bodies so it's of no use there either. It's annoying me that it's just sitting on a shelf doing nothing - so... any use for anything other than a dull grey paperweight?

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    Nope. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    You could paint it. Make it a bit less dull paperweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    What's the string spacing on these? I need a replacement shit alloy one for a MIJ '62 RI - I have a customer who's stripped the arm socket and specifically *doesn't* want a steel block... he likes the sound of the guitar as it is and doesn't want to change it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    edited October 2016
    @icbm String spacing is 2 1/16". PM me if any use. I've also got the vibrato arm if you need it.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 641
    If Hal9000's doesn't work out, I've one you're welcome to,
    My digital calipers have gone walkabout but my trusty ruler has the string holes at 54mm end to end and the three mounting screws approx 14.5 mm end to end.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11518
    As far as I can ascertain the new Classic Series guitars have a steel block these days.  Is that correct and does anyone know when they switched?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    HAL9000 said:
    @icbm String spacing is 2 1/16". PM me if any use. I've also got the vibrato arm if you need it.
    normula1 said:
    If Hal9000's doesn't work out, I've one you're welcome to,
    My digital calipers have gone walkabout but my trusty ruler has the string holes at 54mm end to end and the three mounting screws approx 14.5 mm end to end.
    Ah… damn! The MIJ '62s have the vintage-correct 2-3/16" (56mm) spacing so neither of those will fit unfortunately.

Thanks for checking anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Have you noticed a big difference in sound with the Callaham?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3346
    johnhe said:
    If it helps, I swapped out mine for a Callaham on my MIM and the difference was huge. More sustain and fuller tone.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    johnhe said:
    Yes, more sustain. Also a noticeable difference in tone - hard to describe but I think brighter and more 'zingy' if that helps. First time you pick up a Callaham block you'll be surprised that something that small can be as heavy as it is - I suspect that it distorts space-time and that light bends around it.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It's like the time at a venue when there was an audio cable with thick gold sheilding, it was cheap gold,  but the cable was really heavy, and completely inflexible.