Knackered strat neck - Mighty Mite and Allparts?

What's Hot
I've got a lovely MiJ '85 Strat, the only issue with it is that the frets are really quite worn down. I'm looking to replace the neck with something that has jumbo frets, and maybe even scallop the top frets. It would appear the only options really are Allparts and Mighty Mite, unless I go with bargain-bin chinese stuff. 

Are AP/MM really the only horses in the game, or is there a supplier that can do some nice, all-maple, jumbo fretted (maybe even scalloped?) necks more cheaply but still at good quality?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Why not get your current neck refretted?
    With Allparts/MM you are pretty much guaranteed a usable neck, go cheap import you take a chance....
    Ive used Allparts and MM on Partscasters and they were fine to use straight out of the box....
    I would use either again.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• That's a good call, actually - but a refret would be in the 160-ish ballpark, compared to a brand new neck for 90ish. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    A refret might cost more, BUT it keeps your guitar as all original parts so it will hold it's value better if you sell it on.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    hassleham said:

A refret might cost more, BUT it keeps your guitar as all original parts so it will hold it's value better if you sell it on.
    Other way round - a replacement neck keeps the *original* frets in the original neck, so it will be worth even more if you sell it… because you put the original neck back on.

Daft though it is, original frets - as long as they're not so worn that it's literally unplayable - are 'worth' more than a refret.

Although that probably does apply more to 50s/60s guitars than an 80s MIJ one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    edited October 2016
    Interesting observation @ICBM Something I had not given much though to.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    You'll need to factor finishing the neck too, I found trying to finish an all maple neck a bit of PITA personally (only around the fretboard), probably because I was doing an oil type finish, might be easier if spraying.

Might be worth checking if @GSPBASSES has any Strat necks knocking around, might be a touch more than Allparts, but you can specify what you want if some are half finished etc.. and the quality is great! Grahame has tended to finish the fretboards before fretting on the maple necks I've had too, so you've only got the back and headstock to worry about!
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    @ICBM ;
    I took it from the OP that the guitar was pretty much unplayable.

• Well it's not unplayable certainly, just not smooth to bend and a little buzzy. A friend of mine who is into a bit of luthiery was quite shy of doing any fretwork on it because it was already quite low. Interesting thoughts all around, thank you.