Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Religion in School

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    As I wrote earlier in this thread, it is parents who are responsible for bringing up their children. Parents too set the agenda about manners, customs, beliefs etc. Schools too have agendas. It makes no sense to send a child to a faith school and then complain that the child is being taught religion. It is not right either to expect the faith school to remove the child from the classroom when religion is being taught/practiced/discussed. It is up to the parents to decide what school to send their children to before they enroll. It is easier to become a parent than it is to become a parent who helps their child get a fair and balanced view of the world. This includes their choice of whether to believe in God or not. But to help them make that choice, they need to know both sides of the argument. Which usually means learning about religion in school.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Religion is bollocks.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5067
    edited October 2016
    Rocker said:
    As I wrote earlier in this thread, it is parents who are responsible for bringing up their children. Parents too set the agenda about manners, customs, beliefs etc. Schools too have agendas. It makes no sense to send a child to a faith school and then complain that the child is being taught religion. It is not right either to expect the faith school to remove the child from the classroom when religion is being taught/practiced/discussed. It is up to the parents to decide what school to send their children to before they enroll. It is easier to become a parent than it is to become a parent who helps their child get a fair and balanced view of the world. This includes their choice of whether to believe in God or not. But to help them make that choice, they need to know both sides of the argument. Which usually means learning about religion in school.
    Yes, but as per the OP who has sent their child to a non religious school, if you send your child to a secular school and they are then coming home with notions of a religious bias it would be natural to question where they are coming from surely? Other pupils or the school staff?

Either way I'd be asking questions if my kid came home from school with religious ideas whether it was "God made everything", "Om" or "Alluha Akbar".

Rocker said:
    I believe that children should be taught the principles of the strongest religion in their country. Christianity in the case of UK residents.
    Which version of Christianity are you advocating, I'd assume CofE in the UK? What about UK residents that are of other faiths? I would say that there is no place in the education system for religion at all, other than from an analytical perspective. And that should take place as part of studies at a much later stage than at 5 years old.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    I bet that more people in UK attend mosques than attend church
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31922
    OP, stop worrying, he's only five. It could be a chance remark, a playground thing, or an out-of-context quote about what some people believe.

Even if it is an attempt at indoctrination by a rogue teacher it won't do any lasting damage. I'm sure by the time I was seven I'd figured out for myself that some teachers were just nutters, kids don't believe absolutely everything they're told by every adult.
     Smarter people than you have conceded that you can't win this argument.
    Smart people know you can't win any argument with someone who's actions and opinions are guided by their invisible friend.

In fact I'd hesitate to call it an argument at all, it's more a carer/patient scenario.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • As far as I'm aware the brainwashing of children by various sects is a bad thing, so from that point of view there should be no religious 'education' in school. Teachers should stick to what they know, not what they think they know.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Rocker said:
    Unfortunately the way the catchment system works there is often no choice in regard to the school attended.

With our glorious leader announcing that she want's to allow more religious segregation and more faith based admissions / selection by schools it will only get worse. In some areas there simply won't be a secular choice.

Faith schools follow the concept of the jesuit mantra "give me the boy for 7 years and I'll give you the man" meaning that if there is strong inculcation for the first 7 years then that teaching is likely to stay forever even if demonstrably false.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• As far as I'm aware the brainwashing of children by various sects is a bad thing, so from that point of view there should be no religious 'education' in school. Teachers should stick to what they know, not what they think they know.
    Calling anything teachers do "brainwashing" is insulting, and frankly fucking ridiculous. It's just an inflammatory way of saying "teaching things I don't agree with".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    As far as I'm aware the brainwashing of children by various sects is a bad thing, so from that point of view there should be no religious 'education' in school. Teachers should stick to what they know, not what they think they know.
    Calling anything teachers do "brainwashing" is insulting, and frankly fucking ridiculous. It's just an inflammatory way of saying "teaching things I don't agree with".
    I wouldn't say that, I would say "teaching things which as far as we know aren't true".

I agree religion should be studied, after all we study fascism.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I'm saying all this from the distressing position of agreeing to send my daughter to the local Catholic high school.

• p90fool said:
    Smart people know you can't win any argument with someone who's actions and opinions are guided by their invisible friend.

In fact I'd hesitate to call it an argument at all, it's more a carer/patient scenario.
    Talking like this about people of faith is one of the few remaining acceptable forms of bigotry. Direct the sort of equally hateful and ignorant statements people have made in this thread about religious believers at any other group and the PC brigade would be calling for stonings in the street. 

Cue more name calling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I went to a CofE primary school. The God stuff probably comes the traditional songs and hymns, after all, shock horror, we are a Christian country.  To be fair I didn't really believe it when I was 5 anyway and was too busy playing to really care, didn't go to church and wasn't christened so I wouldn't worry about it.  Was she Christened?  I wonder how many of you were, because that would be ironic
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

calling for stonings in the street. 

Er, isn't that more your thing?
    ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Sambostar said:
    I went to a CofE primary school. The God stuff probably comes the traditional songs and hymns, after all, shock horror, we are a Christian country.  To be fair I didn't really believe it when I was 5 anyway and was too busy playing to really care, didn't go to church and wasn't christened so I wouldn't worry about it.  Was she Christened?  I wonder how many of you were, because that would be ironic
    Why would it be ironic if someone was christened?

It's not like the child had a choice in the matter.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• p90fool said:

calling for stonings in the street. 

Er, isn't that more your thing?
    ;)
    Clearly you know as much about irony as you do about philosophy of religion ;)

• SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    Talking like this about people of faith is one of the few remaining acceptable forms of bigotry. Direct the sort of equally hateful and ignorant statements people have made in this thread about religious believers at any other group and the PC brigade would be calling for stonings in the street. 
    Is it OK to pick on "the PC brigade"? You're accusing them of incitement to violence

Traditionally, stoning to death is more of a religious thing after all.

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

p90fool said:

Cue more name calling.
    Hateful and arrogant statements are directed at non-believers, by believers. For instance, we are assured that we are going to hell. I can't think of anything MORE hateful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Sambostar said:
    we are a Christian country.
    I never understood what this was supposed to mean, and I think this thread amply demonstrates that we aren't.

Personally, I think the Church lost the right to any special influence on legislation, or on the nation's moral character a long time ago. Christians are a minority in this country, and should be considered alongside every other special interest group.