* Driver tae engineer*

"Nehesay look out, ,there's a fuckin' camel on the track"

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:
    That's cool but his back catalogue of anti-trolling speaks for itself, he spends most of his time being a scientist and calling bullshit claims bullshit-he might get a few things wrong but to call him a troll is off the mark IMO.

Hes worked on some level on the hadron collider for example and spent a lot of time debunking creationist and feminist videos and standing up for free speech on YouTube so shouldn't be discarded off hat immediately.
    It doesn't speak for itself, because that isn't how science works. It's a bit like saying "I've read Harry Potter, so I'm an expert in Jane Austen, both books aren't they?"

Your expertise in one area doesn't give you automatic reputation in any other, and anyway, your reputation isn't what matters, the current piece of work does.
    His back catalogue of anti trolling speaks for itself....tell me where I brought science into it, you'll struggle because I didn't do that. 

Straw man my comment if you like, or you could look at his back catalogue of anti-trolling and come back to me?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

Sporky said:
    It was neither off hat nor immediate.

By nine minutes in it was clear he didn't understand the subject he was presenting. He may or may not be better in his other videos, but in this one he's wrong with almost every statement he makes. It's all non-sequitors. A and B therefore X, where A isn't relevant, B isn't true and X doesn't follow from A or B anyway.
    That's cool and like I've admitted since ground zero here-I'm no scientist, I concentrate on important shit like being good looking and on fleek with my fashion etc (which I'm awesome at btw).

What I was trying to say to you
    was judge a video on its entirety rather than 30% of it, I'm sure if you watched the rest you can pull apart all his science and reasoning but all your posts seem to concentrate on the bending of steel tube yet you don't pull apart anything else-that to me tells me you've either not watched the rest of it (very likely) or that's the only thing in the video that you can criticise (less likely).

im not here to pick fights or prove anything.

ive enough shit going on trying to disprove allah in the other thread...

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• SporkySporky Frets: 29057
    Another example... he says that the tube will have a pressure of 10 tonnes per square metre on it. This is true, but it's also using big numbers to make it sound more impressive. It's about 15lb per square inch. Per square centimetre it's just 1kgf. But he picks the big number, the number that's harder to visualise. Both are equally accurate, one is much easier to understand.

And this is assuming a perfect vacuum inside the tube, which isn't what Hyperloop are planning - they're looking at about half atmospheric pressure. An astounding 500g per square centimetre. Woo. A human hand has a surface area of about 0.054m2, so your hand (which isn't anything like as strong as steel) is under 540kgf.

See? Bunkum.

The real proof that it's nonsense? Half an atmosphere is pretty close to the pressure differential that an airliner at 30,000 feet is under, and they're generally made of aluminium which isn't as strong as steel. How often do airliners explode from the air pressure differential? They're of a comparable scale too.

What a muppet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited October 2016
    @sporky I watched the whole video and it makes logical sense. 

I also have seen quite a few of his other videos, he does know what he is talking about when it comes to science.

I don't have a degree but there wasn't anything near degree level science anyway. I have just finished my physics, maths, chemistry and biology a levels and didn't see anything that was obviously dumb (apart from his haircut).

He also isn't a conspiracy theorist as far as I know and iirc he has actually made some videos disproving a few conspiracies.

The bi metallic strip thing.. A bi metallic strip is several inches, and so to get visible bending you have two materials with different heat expansion properties. But over 600km or however long it is you don't need it to be two different materials, the difference in heat if the top and the bottom (from sun and shade) will be enough that the top will have extended more than the bottom.

Although I am sure there is a solution to this, after all look at all the thousands of miles of pipes in Alaska, yes they aren't in the sun and they aren't vacuum.

Also I would say the statement "he is wrong with almost every statement he makes" isn't true.

There are a few things he exaggerated to get a better point across with the sums.

Maybe I am a bit more convinced because I watched more than 9 mins in. He does have a habit of waffling and not getting to the point quick enough.

The most compelling points he made were in regards to the depressurisation of the tunnle causing everything to fuck up basically. Much death, much cost, much sadness, all from what would only need a bullet at any point across the 600km stretch if the tube.

Edit:
    For all I know you could be a professor at Cambridge, I'm not saying you don't know your science at all. Just saying he isn't as bad as your are making out, imo at least

I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    Mkjackary said:

The bi metallic strip thing.. A bi metallic strip is several inches, and so to get visible bending you have two materials with different heat expansion properties. But over 600km or however long it is you don't need it to be two different materials, the difference in heat if the top and the bottom (from sun and shade) will be enough that the top will have extended more than the bottom.

No it won't. Steel is thermally conductive, and it'll warm up slowly in the sun, so the temperature differential will be insignificant. With an appropriate coating it won't even heat up significantly anyway.

Mkjackary said:

Although I am sure there is a solution to this, after all look at all the thousands of miles of pipes in Alaska, yes they aren't in the sun and they aren't vacuum.

They are in the sun, and they're under a greater temperature and pressure differential. It's also more important that they're airtight.

Mkjackary said:

The most compelling points he made were in regards to the depressurisation of the tunnle causing everything to fuck up basically. Much death, much cost, much sadness, all from what would only need a bullet at any point across the 600km stretch if the tube.

Why would depressurisation cause such a disaster? The answer is, of course, that it wouldn't. At full atmospheric pressure it'll just increase friction and slow the trains down. This isn't a submarine under 30 atmospheres - it's half an atmosphere. Not enough for explosive recompression with any size of hole.

Shush Andi, that guys got a rambly youtube video, that makes him right and you wrong.
    lloyd said:
    His back catalogue of anti trolling speaks for itself....tell me where I brought science into it, you'll struggle because I didn't do that. 

Straw man my comment if you like, or you could look at his back catalogue of anti-trolling and come back to me?
    The bit you bought science in is the bit where you said he did something on the hadron collider, therefore implying he knows science.

A catalogue of anti-trolling doesn't mean anything if all you're doing is grabbing facts and running away with them. Technologically it doesn't seem any more complicated than a MagLev train in a oil pipeline. I'm not saying that is insurmountable, but it's certainly within possibility.

I like the bit where he tried to say it was a ridiculous amount of steel, because it was the same amount of steel as in one of the original World Trade Center towers. Well they built those, so how is that ridiculous?
    Mkjackary said:

For all I know you could be a professor at Cambridge, I'm not saying you don't know your science at all. Just saying he isn't as bad as your are making out, imo at least
    It doesn't matter what I am - I'm not making an argument from authority. I've presented verifiable problems with his claims - either wilful distortions or downright inaccuracies.
  • Because steel is therminaly conductive the temperature will equal out quickly.
    This is why it is so hard to weld aluminium as it is even more conductive and the heat quickly dissipates into the rest of the structure.
    Also there are plenty of steel tubes above ground all over the world, carrying some very flammable materials.
    And like bridges these tubes will have growth already calculated into the design.
    This really is not a big engineering challenge.
    The big challenge is to find a route where they can build this thing Ina straight line.
    Personally I would have gone with a sty stem of smaller pods that hold say 20 people at a time rather that long trains, this would make it possible to introduce bends.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Watched it, and I think the guy is exaggerating the possible issues and does not have a clear understanding of what he is talking about. Some obvious changers there.
    Still pretty pointless discussing the theory, I'll wait for the first proper working one, that will answer all the questions.
    if it works I definitely want a go!
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    edited October 2016
    I've not really delved into the thread and quickly skimmed the IET article but two points stand out from the OP.

Dubai to Abu Dhabi  is not a 4 hour flight.

The Shanghai Maglev has already been invented and does a similar job (and I've ridden a good few times).

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    dano said:
    I've not really delved into the thread and quickly skimmed the IET article but two points stand out from the OP.

Dubai to Abu Dhabi  is not a 4 hour flight.

The Shanghai Maglev has already been invented and does a similar job (and I've ridden a good few times).

They probably did something like include the checking in time at the airport - a good bit of creative journalism no doubt!
    Yeah maglev exists, but this is in a vacuum tube which makes it more awesome ;-)
    They do claim it will be significantly faster too, but haven't actually got a full working prototype yet.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • The best people to build this would be aircraft manufacturers.
    They are expert at making long light weight pressurised tubes.
    Personally I think the tube should be transparent so you can see the world go by.
    Also worth mentioning that we've had alloys that don't expand when heated for over a century now, so Ranty McRantyChops really does need to do some reading before posting his everything-sucks videos.

See also more modern research (still too early to use for this sort of application, mind):

https://www.caltech.edu/news/caltech-scientists-use-high-pressure-alchemy-create-nonexpanding-metals-1544
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Personally I think the tube should be transparent so you can see the world go by.
    Definitely. To be honest I'd like to see it end up like the tube system on Futurama:

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Id prefer to travel like this actually :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Maglev is limited by air resistance, hyperloop could in theory go as fast as 800mph. I believe the company running the tests want to build it underground so that's a lot of points in the video out of the window.
    My V key is broken
  • Trouble with those kinds of speeds is the sound barrier. As the pressure goes down so does the speed of sound, 
    So lots of shock waves to deal witj