Thoughts on the veracity of this tele.......

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    The body and neck look OK, but it obviously has a replacement bridge to fit the HB. The serial number also matches the year. 

The tuners also look legit as do the knobs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Did Fender do a bound Telecaster in the late 70's? I thought they were originally 60's only..?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited October 2016
    The neck is genuine, the body isn't. As Bridgehouse said there were no bound Teles in the late 70s, and it's the wrong shape. The pickguard and neck pickup might be 70s but impossible to tell from the pics.

The case isn't right either, Fender never used a blue lining. It might actually be a Rickenbacker case. The lead is correct though! And probably older, I think they'd stopped using that type by then.

It also appears to have had larger-diameter machineheads fitted and removed, you can see the collar marks on the front of the headstock - that reduces the value of the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That case looks a lot like my Ric cases.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    edited October 2016
    The 'Custom' designation in the 70s usually refers to the 'Keef' Tele (large scratchplate, neck Wide Range humbucker/Tele bridge pick-up, scratchplate mounted toggle on upper horn, 2 volume/2 tone Les Paul-like control layout). They also had Bullet trussrods and 'Custom' beneath the word 'Telecaster' on the headstock decal. None of that guitar is from a 70s Telecaster Custom - though it appears to be a late-70s 'standard' Telecaster neck.

As others have said, no edge-bound Teles were made in the late 70s - IIRC correctly, production officially ceased around 72, when the 'Keef' version was introduced - though I've never actually seen one that wasn't made in the '60s.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10088
    Def a Ricky case, and the body looks Jap to me...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    How many times are we going to go through this man ? You don't get on with Teles !
    That said I do like the config of that one !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396

and the body looks Jap to me…
    Yes.

In the very late 80s or early 90s I made one like this - apart from the colour - from a 70s Fender and a Tokai Custom Tele. The Fender had a nice neck but the body weighed a ton, and the Tokai looked nice and weighed about half as much but had a very fat neck - which would now be fashionable, but I hated it. So I swapped them, got rid the Fender body with the Tokai neck on and kept the "Fender Custom Tele" for a few years. Eventually I sold it to a well-known local blues player who used if for many years and may even still have it, I'm not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein