Weird enough to be right up my street, but...ouch!

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
edited October 2016 in Guitar
This definitely piques my interest...but goddamn, that's an ugly neck repair.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome back. Where have you been - shed tidying again?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16951
    That is awesome
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited October 2016
    It is an ugly repair but it also looks fairly effective. He's used a fillet to increase the surface area to allow better adhesion.
    Although I would've used 2 fillets, one on either side of the truss rod.

Actually, I find the headstock far uglier than the repair. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Mad like cat piss...
    I quite like it
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I can't see the repair. I can't tear my eyes away from that fugly headstock. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Wow, that is truly bonkers! I know they made some weird stuff in the Soviet Bloc, but that's more extreme than anything I've seen before. It's actually bizarrely cool in a 1970s-furniture sort of way.

I could be wrong but I'm not totally sure that's as much of a repair as it looks either - some of these things were built with jointed headstocks, I think done just like that. Although it does look like it's separated and then been oversprayed… but it might possibly be original like that, some of the build quality is shockingly poor on East-European stuff. I've made a couple of them playable to modern standards and it's a *lot* of work.

The worst case is that it is a break and needs to be re-repaired with two more splints either side and re-overspayed again, so you haven't a lot to lose really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Hmm, that could be my Xmas shopping done, right there, but yeah a bit rich I fear. Never seen one like that before

• GassageGassage Frets: 31147
    I know they made some weird stuff in the Soviet Bloc, but that's more extreme than anything I've seen before.

You've clearly never seen Melania Trump.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    edited October 2016
    Very tempted, but I'd really want to play it first - in my experience, most Eastern European/Soviet guitars come factory fitted with more than average amount of playability quirks.

£250 is a lot to spend without trying it.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Very tempted, but I'd really want to play it first - in my experience, most Eastern European/Soviet guitars come factory fitted with more than average amount of playability quirks.

£250 is a lot to spend without trying it.
    Especially when it could cost about that to have it sorted out, if you can't do the work yourself. That's about what I had to charge for the Ural 650 I did up recently - the factory fretting and neck joint made it basically unplayable, and the electrics needed major work too... although the pickups were actually quite good.

There is a theory that they were built that way on purpose to put Russian kids off rock'n'roll...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    ICBM said:
    I could be wrong but I'm not totally sure that's as much of a repair as it looks either - some of these things were built with jointed headstocks, I think done just like that. Although it does look like it's separated and then been oversprayed… but it might possibly be original like that,

Enlarging the image seems to show a gap :o
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    Plectrum said:
    ICBM said:
    I could be wrong but I'm not totally sure that's as much of a repair as it looks either - some of these things were built with jointed headstocks, I think done just like that. Although it does look like it's separated and then been oversprayed… but it might possibly be original like that,

Thats what I found... :(

Plectrum said:

Certainly, but from my experience with Soviet guitars that doesn't prove it's not original ;).

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    ICBM said:
    especially when it could cost about that to have it sorted out, if you can't do the work yourself. That's about what I had to charge for the Ural 650 I did up recently - the factory fretting and neck joint made it basically unplayable, and the electrics needed major work too... although the pickups were actually quite good.

There is a theory that they were built that way on purpose to put Russian kids off rock'n'roll...

I had one of those years ago, it had a side-car.